Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Which Brands? GrabAtrack, PST, Scott Drake etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 09:34 PM
supermario
2nd Gear Member

Default Which Brands? GrabAtrack, PST, Scott Drake etc

Hey Guys,

Im about to buy some suspension parts soon, I will be getting upper/lower control arms, bushings, coils, leaf springs, sway bars, etc.

Now the question is, I was going to get the Grab A track products but Ive been told by a Mustang Shop that they are not good products. So I was thinking of Scott Drake and PST and then the parts that California Mustang Sells (besides grabatrack). I dont mind mixing and matching parts to get the best overall performance.

As of now I plan on 620 1" lowering coils, 4 1/2-5 leaf springs(mid eye or reverse eye), Koni Shocks, 1" front sway bar and 3/3" rear sway bar. Only thing I know for sure is that I will be using Koni shocks becus my friend put some on about 20years ago and those things are freakin awesome and still working well.

Anyhow, what brands of suspension kits and or parts do you reccomend. And have you used them yourself.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-29-2012, 12:03 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I would look at http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/index.html Hes not the cheapest but he takes oem stuff and upgrades it so it will ride and handle better.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:13 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

I like my GAT 4.5 mid eyes with kyb's and opentracker front suspension. 1" sway bar, Roller spring perches, and everything else from open tracker. Email John and he will set you up with a quote.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:54 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

I've got Grabatrac in my 66 and have no complaints, for the price. I was looking for an inexpensive, better then stock setup for the street. If money isn't an issue, opentracker, TCP are the go to, at twice the cost. Tubular A arms, roller perches, adjustable strut rods and coil over alone is $2K, then add brakes, your at $3.5K, throw in the coil over rear, well over $6K. That's more than my car is worth. No complaints on this end for the Grabatrac.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:18 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

I'd go with ORP's street UCA's for $199/pr., his Moog LCA or Moog from anywhere else.
I wasted money on the G-A-T set, the LCA bushings slid in their mount and allowed metal/metal contact

Then the UCA nuts started unscrewing as I had marked them with a grease pen so I had to drill holes and put set screws in, hope that works. ORP's are already centered, deburred and have a tab welded so they don't unscrew for $20-$40 more than the repops.
You can say I have been less than happy with the G-A-T....I now have Moog LCA's, have to change out the UCA next, what a waste of $$.
Jon
Old 03-29-2012, 11:21 PM
supermario
2nd Gear Member

Well I definitely dont have and dont want to spend the $ on coil over suspensions. I basically want to keep everything as stock as possible but yet use quality parts.

Ive never heard of open tracker but I will look it up right now. My friend used Grabatrack springs, coils and sway bars and his 68 handled very well in combination with Koni shocks.

Ok just looked them up, looks like I will be getting the roller perches. I love that fact that they state it makes for a smoother ride. Thats what i basically want from my car. A nice firm smooth ride, if its possible.

By the way, whats the difference between Roller Spring Perch and Track Roller Spring Perch? Which would be best for me? Im not looking for a track performance but it would be nice if it wont make my ride harsh or jarring?

Last edited by supermario; 03-29-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:16 AM
supermario
2nd Gear Member

Have another question, have any of you guys felt the difference between regular
coils springs and the progessive coil springs? Is it really a softer ride when crusing and stiffen up when needed? I just cant see how that would work?

Thanks again
Old 03-30-2012, 06:54 AM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

Track roller has two pivot points and the shock can adjust to suspension separately from the spring, not necessary for a street car, from ORP:
"Our track roller spring perches use two separate pivots to greatly reduce this resistance which improves ride quality, responsiveness to the road, and improved handling. ORP's track roller perches allow the coil spring and shock to pivot independently."

Haven't used the progressive springs but their coils are spaced closer at one end so as the suspension compresses the spring gets progressively firmer. A standard shock my take 550lbs. to compress one inch, as you compress further (deep or increasing turn) the spring increases to 650 half way and say 750lbs. at full compression. Thats my understanding. May give a nicer ride as it would be less likely to bottom out.
Jon
Old 03-30-2012, 09:17 AM
ProblemHouston
1st Gear Member

Not trying to hijack your thread OP but what do you guys think about using parts from GAT and OTRP? Cause I am a fan of the progressive spring with the roller purches but as far as upper and lowers I think that the GATs are cheaper and don't know that the difference in price will gain me any performance.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:50 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I have ran progessive coils before they do work like that soft ride tell you learn on it in the curves it stiffens up.How they work is look at the coils one end has a lot of tight ones close to each other that is your soft ride,The other end is spread out more that is the stiffer part when you want it its there.Grab a track is just cheap oem stuff with a fancy name i wouldn't buy it if its going on my car.I would only run moog brand or open trackers stuff.

Quick Reply: Which Brands? GrabAtrack, PST, Scott Drake etc