Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

my next pony that im looking at tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 04:01 PM
cashs mom
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by scootchu
What did the seller say when you dumped the glass of water in the cowl?
Glass of water? When I bought the mustang I have now, we used a garden hose to test the cowl.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:12 AM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scootchu
Good luck finding a non rusted cowl in Ohio. Also you are negotiating backwards. Find the car you want, pick apart any problems, make an offer. Not make an offer and then try to get it down. You have to be care free and non interested to make a great deal.
What did the seller say when you dumped the glass of water in the cowl?
Agreed on the negotiating techniques. I've bought/sold a few Mustangs, and I am a salesman at a Ford dealer...

Cowl repair can be expensive. You did well to pass. If the rest of the car was nicer, the price wouldn't have been bad. But it's not. Be patient. I'll keep my eyes peeled in the area.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:13 AM
Daniel Lawrence Miller

Originally Posted by Waffles
Agreed on the negotiating techniques. I've bought/sold a few Mustangs, and I am a salesman at a Ford dealer...

Cowl repair can be expensive. You did well to pass. If the rest of the car was nicer, the price wouldn't have been bad. But it's not. Be patient. I'll keep my eyes peeled in the area.
i have to disagree with you gentleman a little bit here. i kicked the tires all around, picked it apart and test drove it and got the price as low as i could get him. he was struggling. and then i said ok i'll buy it but i need one more look and a glass of water first.

My plan was if it didn't leak i would take the price. if it did leak then i would be able to get him down even further.(if i did the test prior to the first negotiation i would not know where i could get him to. and if it didnt leak then i would have little to no more room.)

he acted dumbfounded when it started to leak. he said its been garage kept and only driven on nice days. then we took the garden hose and filled the cowl up and looked for other leaks.

Last edited by Daniel Lawrence Miller; 05-24-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:49 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Daniel Lawrence Miller
i have to disagree with you gentleman a little bit here. i kicked the tires all around, picked it apart and test drove it and got the price as low as i could get him. he was struggling. and then i said ok i'll buy it but i need one more look and a glass of water first.
The point is that they were making is that you should have done that first and then talked money, you could possibly have gotten the car even cheaper to make the cowl repair more manageable, so yes, you did it backwards.
Lynn
Old 05-25-2013, 08:51 AM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

I never discuss a car's price with someone, whether I'm buying or selling, until I've done everything I want to inspect the car, or allow them to do the same. Why play poker? I'm not negotiating prices until I know exactly what I'm negotiating with. I want to know what problems are in my arsenal to use are reasoning and justification for my offer.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:04 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

It happens man. That one looked good but had some issues.. I agree with the other guys though... This is your money, you buy a car at a price you can afford. Get the most bang for your buck.

I just got a car for my wife and was at a dealership sitting with the finance guy and talking to another dealership on the phone. It didnt make the first guy very happy, but If im going to spend the money on a car, Im getting what I want.

You will find something good. Just keep your head about your decisions and dont be too quick to fall in love.