Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Baffled Buy

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 03:58 PM
hed4rvr

Default Baffled Buy

First time post, new member. Just had a '65 GT 4pd Coupe follow me home and I've owned a lot of early Mustangs but this thing had me scratching my head. So, bought this thing sign on seen but knew it was a solid, rust free 2 owner honest GT, 4spd car. It sported a unique vintage thunderbolt style hood. I was thinking to simply buy a new hood and make it look right....so here is when things get crazy. So when I opened the hood, the 289 is sporting what looks to be a vintage, period correct twin turbo set up! I've never seen this a classic Mustang or am I an expert on turbos...WTH. Has anyone ever seen this before? The turbo's say AR60 AirResearch. It's got a cool looking intake, unusual exhaust plumbing and a huge Holley 780 double pumper. apparently the PO was a engineer (past away) and that the car was very fast when it did run but has been sitting in a garage for 30 yrs. The story gets weirder: It looks to have a water injection system on it. Found an old diary and it said the water injection was a Shelby product??? Looks like the water shoots directly in the big Holley just above the fuel squirters. Didn't know youu cud mix water and fuel?? The Fuel delivery system is also strange. from the fuel pump, the line is coiled up and resided an what looks to be an old coffee can. The can has a drain plug on bottom. Could this be for ice to cool the fuel???? Not being a turbo expert as prev mentioned, shouldn't there be a way to cool down the exhaust air before its pushed down the intake? Maybe the water injection and cold fuel line accomplish this...I dunno-just speculating. One last weird note. I was thrilled when I saw it had a rally pack on it too and was even more excited when I saw it was an 8k pack....BUT upon further inspection, It's a unit I have never seen before and where the clock would have normally been, there is a boost gauge...and it says SHELBY on it????

Anyone able to shed any light?

Thanks for reading my Stang story
Old 02-01-2017, 10:46 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Definitely the coffee can is made for ice to put in there to cool the fuel down.

Sounds like some serious horsepower there.

Good luck!!
Old 02-01-2017, 11:35 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

PICTURES!!!!!
Old 02-08-2017, 04:28 PM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

Water injection is an old time (2nd world war) airplane method of increasing the density of the fuel charge by cooling the fuel air mixture. The more dense mix puts more fuel and air in the cylinder generating more power. The water needs to be finely atomized so that its rapid evaporation cools the charge. Too much water and the flame goes out. Most of the engines were torn down periodically.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:16 AM
Gun Jam

They were pretty savage though. Some of those engine would make 1,500Hp and kickdown 2,000s door with Water methanol injection. Water cooled V12, V24, Or Air cooled twin row radials. Bring on the thunder. The Modern Edge 540s and other "Red Bull" type Air racers have nothing except low altitude roll rate and turn rate on the old WWII stuff. Its impressive off the deck but they would have their asses handed to them in a gun fight. The stuff from the late 40s were the most advanced piston driven aircraft ever built

Last edited by Gun Jam; 02-09-2017 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:23 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

If that doesn't give you a stiffy then you're dead inside