Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

69 Mach 1 CJ swap help

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 05:23 PM
Buickgsman

Default 69 Mach 1 CJ swap help

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I'm here to help out a friend who owns a 69 Mach 1 that has a 302 Windsor 2 barrel in it that we are swapping for a 351 CJ. Let me first start out by saying that he is ill and may not get to see this project to the end so I am trying to accomplish it with him ASAP so he can see it done and maybe enjoy it a little. I'm hoping to get some informed opinions on parts to complete the engine. We located a 70 351 Cobra Jet engine that was complete and sent it to the machine shop for a thorough rebuild. The goal was a good running strong engine, but not too radical, so a mild cam was what was used, but I don't have the exact cam that was used in the engine. We are looking for some info on the best parts to finish up the engine. I've done some research on headers and I don't think I want Hooker Super Comps because they seem to hang low. I like headers that fit the car well and won't get wiped out when going over bumps. Any suggestions for good fitting headers? I would prefer them to be coated, and not needing a lot of finessing to get them to fit the car... which is an automatic by the way. We need an intake and carb also. We are thinking of an Edelbrock Performer intake and I personally prefer an Edelbrock Performer carb (750cfm) as well. Does that sound reasonable? Also, the radiator that is in the car will need to be replaced. I would like opinions on what radiator to use and the best place to buy it from. I would think a 4 core is my best bet. Any suggestions? I am a Buick and Olds guy so I hope you don't mind me coming here for help. Any suggestions you can provide are much appreciated. Another thing I'm wondering, will I be able to use the existing wiring harness on the Cleveland engine? Thanks!
Bob
Old 02-28-2017, 08:35 PM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

Any of the Mustang vendors can provide most of what you need. 4 row is probably overkill but wouldn't hurt. Make sure you match the radiator outlets to the water pump outlets. Try JBA or FPA for headers. I have not used either but hear good things. I currently have smashed Hookers. Performer carb is a good choice. Vendors like CJ Pony Parts, Mustangs Plus, Tony Branda and others will have all you need.

Last edited by barstowpo; 03-05-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:01 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I'm in the FPA Header boat. Those are what I'm eyeing for my next project, and I've seen some really nice pictures from other forum members showing how well they tuck up above the frame rails.

I'd recommend either a quality factory-style 3-row brass/copper radiator, or a good 2-row aluminum from ECP. 4-row radiators can choke off air flow, which decreases cooling ability. Also, make sure you have a proper fan shroud and a good clutch fan, or an electric fan w/shroud that pulls >2500CFM.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:38 PM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

I have Hookers on my 428 and they suck.