Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Flex plate hits my starter

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 01:43 PM
Seadog
1st Gear Member

Default Flex plate hits my starter

I bought a 302 crate engine to go with my C4. Bought a block plate from Summit to go with the used 6 bolt bell housing I bought on eBay (my old engine had a 5 bolt). Installed my starter original type of design), and it contacts the weight on the flexplate (157 tooth with 50 oz balance weight). The weight has about 3/32nds of space between it and block plate.

If I place a washer between the starter and the block plate no more contact. What will this do to the starter-flexplate teeth meshing? I haven't found any info that addresses this. Does anyone have experience/help for this problem?

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2017, 04:32 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Seadog
I bought a 302 crate engine to go with my C4. Bought a block plate from Summit to go with the used 6 bolt bell housing I bought on eBay (my old engine had a 5 bolt). Installed my starter original type of design), and it contacts the weight on the flexplate (157 tooth with 50 oz balance weight). The weight has about 3/32nds of space between it and block plate.

If I place a washer between the starter and the block plate no more contact. What will this do to the starter-flexplate teeth meshing? I haven't found any info that addresses this. Does anyone have experience/help for this problem?

Thanks!
Some. The car is that '65? My nephew is right now in the throes of finishing up the install of a '95 5.0 HO in his '65 Galaxie, which had a 289/C4. Finding correct flex-plate regarding balance and #teeth was an uncertainty. Determined the eng. needed 164 teeth, 50 in-oz unbalance. I believe he had to change the spacer plate, not sure, will be talking to him later today, will ask him. Evidently his 289 had 6 housing bolts, not 5, as the C4 bolted right up to the 5.0. My understanding was early 289s had 5, but exactly WHEN the change happened I dunno. Anybody, HELP?

Be aware that the big round hole in the spacer plate is what correctly aligns the starter with respect to teeth meshing properly. Maker sure your starter's round outer housing at shaft end fits that hole without wobbling around. If real loose, trouble awaits you. Will try to get more info on this tonight. Personally, I would hate to see gear teeth chewed up (or worse), as a result of mismatched parts. imp
Old 08-06-2017, 04:56 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

See: http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/Ford...Flexplates.htm

You need to know, if you don't already, what imbalance crankshaft is in your crate engine. With incorrect imbalance flexplate, the vibration will be intolerable and destroy eng. bearings if run any length of time. imp
Old 08-07-2017, 04:20 PM
Seadog
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by imp
See: http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/Ford...Flexplates.htm

You need to know, if you don't already, what imbalance crankshaft is in your crate engine. With incorrect imbalance flexplate, the vibration will be intolerable and destroy eng. bearings if run any length of time. imp
Mine is a 50oz, external balance. The engine came with the correct harmonic balancer and flexplate.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:36 PM
Seadog
1st Gear Member

I did some more "Googling" last night and found the answer. This was a case of not knowing what I don't know. I'll explain. I somehow overlooked that the two drain plugs on the face of the converter needed to be aligned with holes in the flexplate! I should have spotted this just using a little common sense. I had never done this before. If I change the converter's alignment with the flexplate by 90 degrees either way then the problem is solved. As it was, the drain plug behind the weight caused the flexplate to be warped a little and therefore that portion of the flexplate hit the started.

The warp in the flexplate stayed, even after separating the trans and engine, and removing the flexplate from the crank. Maybe I could straighten it somehow but I decided to buy a new one just to be on the safe side. It's coming in a couple of days and then it should all go together okay.