Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

65 conv. top Side Rail Sag - need help with these directions I found

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 06:48 PM
earlymustang
2nd Gear Member

Default 65 conv. top Side Rail Sag - need help with these directions I found

BALANCE LINK ADJUSTMENT
The blance link adjusting bracket is mounted on the main pivot bracket support. (Fig. 3) Two adjustments are provided at the bracket. Sliding the bracket in the elogated mounting holes permits proper stacking of the top in the well. Turning the Allen head adjusting screw adjusts the side rail to glass clearance.

Side Rail Sag. If the side rail sags above the door glass, adjust as follows:
1. Use the top of the door glass and quarter panel glass as reference points to determine the proper level of the side rail.
2. Have the top locked in the fully raised position.
3. With an Allen wrench, turn the adjusting screw in the balance link adjusting bracked down to raise the side rail. The adjusting bracket retaining screws should be loosened during this adjustment.
4. If the side rail is too high, or crowned, above the windows, turn the adjusting screw up to lower the side rail.

ok so where is the adjusting screw in the balance link adjusting bracket?

and where are these screws? The adjusting bracket retaining screws should be loosened during this adjustment.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2006, 12:22 AM
overdrive

Default RE: 65 conv. top Side Rail Sag - need help with these directions I found

If you don't have a shop manual, you should get one. It's very helpful. The first paragraph of your post is confusing. I think the bracket screws are the bolts that attach the top frame assembly to the body and only need to be loose to move the frame sideways to adjust how the top stacks in the well and how it fits between the rear siderail and the qtr. outside rear side belt moulding.
The eccentric adjusting screw that you want is at the front of the balance link, where it attaches to the rear of the intermediate [or middle] side rail. It's just behind the bolt that connects the rear siderail to the intermediate siderail, which is just behind the coat hooks. The allen head eccentric has jam nut on it hat you'll have to loosen, at least on the 66. 65 is probably the same.
That's a beautiful car!
Old 05-06-2006, 12:39 AM
earlymustang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 65 conv. top Side Rail Sag - need help with these directions I found

thanks, I figured it out.

ORIGINAL: overdrive

If you don't have a shop manual, you should get one. It's very helpful. The first paragraph of your post is confusing. I think the bracket screws are the bolts that attach the top frame assembly to the body and only need to be loose to move the frame sideways to adjust how the top stacks in the well and how it fits between the rear siderail and the qtr. outside rear side belt moulding.
The eccentric adjusting screw that you want is at the front of the balance link, where it attaches to the rear of the intermediate [or middle] side rail. It's just behind the bolt that connects the rear siderail to the intermediate siderail, which is just behind the coat hooks. The allen head eccentric has jam nut on it hat you'll have to loosen, at least on the 66. 65 is probably the same.
That's a beautiful car!