Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Patriot tri-y fitment problem (rubs on shock tower)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 03:42 PM
19stang66
4th Gear Member

Default Patriot tri-y fitment problem (rubs on shock tower)

So I finally got my engine and transmission back together. Then I try to install the new tri-y's and the passenger side will not fit without hitting the shock tower. So after screwing around forever trying to get it to fit, I realize its the new prothane motor mounts. They make the engine sit low in the bay, which causes me to have less clearance on that side. So I jacked the engine up after I loosened the mounts and it help a little bit, but that header still rubs.

So what do I do? Is the header the problem or the new motor mounts (they are the Summit Prothane ones, $100)? How will I modify that header to fit? I don't think it needs that much more room so it doesnt hit. Can you heat ceramic coated headers up and kind of flatten them out? Will it wreck the finish? Check out the pictures and tell me what you think.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:37 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Patriot tri-y fitment problem (rubs on shock tower)

I wouldn't try to dent those ceramic headers. The shock towers can be dented for more room before denting the headers. Then make sure you have a monte carlo bar installed. It also looks like if you raise the engine an inch or so, you may clear. So, the new motor mounts could also have the engine too low. Try a set of 66 motor mounts and see if it doesn't clear.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:14 PM
19stang66
4th Gear Member

I heard the stock motor mounts fall apart easy once you start making power. Thats why I got the prothane ones
Old 04-22-2006, 07:25 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

OK, I understand your problem. How much HP do you plan to produce?
Old 04-22-2006, 08:44 PM
19stang66
4th Gear Member

ha, well what I meant to say is that I plan to produce horsepower someday . I'll be a poor college student in September. So I guess I could just use some stock ones. Darn you Soaring, i guess i'll be downgrading. If its for the best. Thanks!

Anyone wanna buy some prothane motor mounts?
Old 04-22-2006, 09:26 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

You sound like my nephew. I bought him an 02 GT, and the first thing he bought for it out of his wee bit of money he gets each month, was some 410 gears for the rear. I asked him why he bought them, and he said he wanted more power at launch. Well, since he didn't even have his driver's license yet, I asked him when he planned to put those gears in. He said he thought I would do it for him. Yeah, right......He'll learn....
Old 04-22-2006, 09:52 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Yeah I get that too. "Oh you work on cars! Can you do brakes on my 99 Huyndi". Heck no I'm not doing brakes on your peice of crap rice burner! I spend every waking moment working on a real car!
Old 04-22-2006, 10:21 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 67t5ponycoupe

Yeah I get that too. "Oh you work on cars! Can you do brakes on my 99 Huyndi". Heck no I'm not doing brakes on your peice of crap rice burner! I spend every waking moment working on a real car!
Oh, it's not that I can't do it, and I have the time now that I am retired, but I want him to learn that spending money on foolish things that he has no education or impetus to install in his car is not something I am willing to do. He already has 355's in the rear of that GT, and he needs to learn how to drive what he has before upgrading to 410's. Just an uncle thing.....
Old 04-22-2006, 10:44 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Hey Soaring, want to adopt me so you can buy me a car???

ORIGINAL: Soaring

You sound like my nephew. I bought him an 02 GT, and the first thing he bought for it out of his wee bit of money he gets each month, was some 410 gears for the rear. I asked him why he bought them, and he said he wanted more power at launch. Well, since he didn't even have his driver's license yet, I asked him when he planned to put those gears in. He said he thought I would do it for him. Yeah, right......He'll learn....
Old 04-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: slickman

Hey Soaring, want to adopt me so you can buy me a car???

ORIGINAL: Soaring

I told him when he was just a little guy that I would buy him a Mustang if he maintained a straight A average throughout high school. Well, crap... he did it. So I had to make good on my promise. The problem was with his mother, in that she wanted him to have a more modern car than my 65, so that was the compromise.

Quick Reply: Patriot tri-y fitment problem (rubs on shock tower)