Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Suggestions on my trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 02:43 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Default Suggestions on my trunk?

Ok well, I have a 67 coupe that is currently in the process oh being restored. Ive had it for about 4 years but only now started to work on it because of money, job, school, etc. Anyway, the first thing I did was clean up my trunk! Heres some before pictures...

I have no idea what that stain is...

And she also took a hard shot in the butt along the line sometime..

The first thing I did was strip all the old paint off using "paint stripper" which is a life saver! It actually looks worse...

After that, using 36grit, I sanded down the entire trunk floor, inside of the quarter panels, taillight panel, and part of the wheelwells. Also got a new tank. After pics...

Looks nice I think. Its now smooth and I cleaned up that damage and rust. So, now my question, what do you think I should do. My color scheme is Prowler Purple with black interior so I was just gonna paint the trunk black. But im open to suggestions...Thanks guys

Old 05-15-2006, 05:45 AM
hity645
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Suggestions on my trunk?

How'd you clean it up to look that good? I got a 67', and I was thinking of getting it sandblasted primed and then get the trunk all done so I can drive it if need be. I was going to paint it black and then get the car cover kits most catalogs have to offer. But I don't know what to do in the quarter panel area for maximum protection against rust.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:54 AM
usmcdevilmp
1st Gear Member

baddog make sure you tape up that filler hole for the gas tank. you dont want anything getting inside there.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:55 AM
65_2plus2
2nd Gear Member

Why don’t you go old school in the trunk, Matte Gray with black textured flecks. Or the opposite, Matte Black with Gray flecks.

Just my 2¢. Cheers…..[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 05-15-2006, 11:33 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I'd paint it the purple that the body is painted.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:41 AM
ideal_mustangs
4th Gear Member

Yeah, I second painting it body color, and then putting a mat in it.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:27 PM
Goauburn50
1st Gear Member

I also have a 67 coupe and I am about to totally redo my fuel system. After seeing how good your trunk lookds now I believe I'll do the same. Bye the way, where did you get your tank? it looks plastic not metal? How much if you don't mind. I believe I'm getting a tank kit from Mustangs Unlimited for $122ish and that includes sending unit and gaskets and such. Oh yea, I'd just paint it black, it'd be cheaper and it doesn't really matter what color the trunk is. I have a carpet kit that was given to me that I'll be useing.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:28 PM
fastlane65

You couls always box and carpet it, but that would cover up all your hard work.

My trunk.

Old 05-15-2006, 03:20 PM
mustangdemon01
2nd Gear Member

I know exactly what you mean when you said you had to worry about money,school, work etc. Im in that boat right now...I think it looks great...my opinion would be for you to match it up to the color of the car, or do what fastlane65 did and carpet it up....nice job fastlane, looks awesome!
Old 05-15-2006, 05:26 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Thanks for all the feedback and compliments guys, it took alot of time and effort. At first I was using sandpaper to get the paint off but that was taking forever. I was told about "Paint Stripper", which you just brush on and the paint bubbles and practically falls off. My trunk had an extremly hard and textured paint(the black old paint) which came right off, and then had red, green, the original white, primer, and then the steel. After using the stripper, I used a electric sander (Mouse) with 36 grit and went crazy with it. That took the most time. After getting most of it to shiney steel and rubbing out the rust, I used spray paint primer to get everything properly sealed before the rust got any chance to start. Took about 4 cans, perhaps 5. I did this off and on for about a month, but if you were dedicated, I bet you could do it in a FULL day, two tops.

The tank is metal. I undercoated the bottom side heavily after seeing my old tank, and painted the top Semi-Flat Black. Thats the color Im considering the trunk. I got that for 83 bucks shipped, but dummy me didnt buy the kit, so I ended up paying more than 122. 122 sounds great. Check Ebay.

Im sorry, but I hate those mats. My kitchen floor looks exactly like that[:'(]. In the future, I may have the trunk carpeted by a local upholstry shop, but that will be a couple years if I do. For right now, I just did this to stop any rust from killing my car, and make it look alot nicer than before.

Im not sure If I want to paint it purple in the trunk aswell. First off, I could do it myself if I do it black, but that purple means I will have to get a shop to do it. And they rape you around here for paint. I have the paint and everything to do it black right now. Also, if I get it purple, I will have to wait forever to get it painted becuase my car isnt currently rolling, and I need to invest in that before I get people to paint my trunk. Also, I fabricated a diamond plated rear seat divider which is gonna look Fing awesome against black. I have 5 extra if anyone is interested. I should have pics tomorrow.

Sry for the long post...

Quick Reply: Suggestions on my trunk?