Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Intake Threaded Hole Totally Screwed

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 10:50 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

Default Intake Threaded Hole Totally Screwed

ok so i figured out why the water neck on the intake was leaking....yes...a rust hole....and also the fact it wasnt even flush against the intake as the previous owner just muscled a bolt in totally crooked and it messed up the threads bad.....

i dont even know what to do....im almost shaking from frustration and anger....ive wanted to take this thing for a spin with all the nice weather but i cant catch a break.....i swear i fix one thing and then something else goes wrong to stop me.....

so what do i do to fix the hole?? new intake? somehow get it fixed somewhere???
Old 06-09-2006, 10:53 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Intake Threaded Hole Totally Screwed

Not a problem, just go get yourself a helicoil repair kit. That should be able to fix it just fine.
I have done this in heads and it worked great!
ORIGINAL: Shifty101Easy

ok so i figured out why the water neck on the intake was leaking....yes...a rust hole....and also the fact it wasnt even flush against the intake as the previous owner just muscled a bolt in totally crooked and it messed up the threads bad.....

i dont even know what to do....im almost shaking from frustration and anger....ive wanted to take this thing for a spin with all the nice weather but i cant catch a break.....i swear i fix one thing and then something else goes wrong to stop me.....

so what do i do to fix the hole?? new intake? somehow get it fixed somewhere???
Old 06-09-2006, 10:54 PM
mlitz
2nd Gear Member

well as long as the bolt did not brake in side then you have it easy.... if you don't have a tap and die set go out and buy one they are so worth it in the long run. then figure the thread size and threads per in and tap that sucker!!!
Old 06-10-2006, 01:35 AM
tms

Where is the hole at now ! hum you can retape it's a posable maybe you might can get is back in strate there is one posable way is to use a heli coil but need to check with a older machinc ask him . I have brazed holes in case iron but not on the top of a block! I have Been a while use a cast rod and welded cast blocks but that to is a posable maybe . is there room to retape to a larger bolt well ideas, But to take a tape and use a drill press to keep it lined you strate feed it by hand slow. Not sure what else i could do!
Wish you the best with it !
Old 06-10-2006, 05:50 AM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

the bolt didnt break off....

and could someone tell me or show me what the devil a heli coil is??? also....where can i ordered one or get one???
Old 06-10-2006, 05:53 AM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

also does anyone know what size for a performer 289 by edelbrock???

how hard are they to install....and im assuming im gonna have to take off the intake to do it right....?
Old 06-10-2006, 11:37 AM
darth289
1st Gear Member

Any autoparts store has helicoils. They're kinda expensive, but still alot cheaper than a new intake.

the bolt didnt break off....

and could someone tell me or show me what the devil a heli coil is??? also....where can i ordered one or get one???
Old 06-10-2006, 11:40 AM
darth289
1st Gear Member

I THINK it's 5/16-18 but I'm not 100%. You shouldn't have to remove the intake, but it would be easier if it wasn't on the car.

also does anyone know what size for a performer 289 by edelbrock???

how hard are they to install....and im assuming im gonna have to take off the intake to do it right....?
Old 06-10-2006, 11:55 AM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

Sometimes threads are stripped or cross-threaded, especially the ones for the mounting flange bolts (5/6-18). Heli-Coil Thread Repair kits are available for this size at some hardware stores and most machine tool stores. The kit inserts are precision coils of stainless steel, diamond-shaped wire. The kit has a toll called a tang for installation, which is notched for easy removal. The insert is larger than the tapped hole before installation. During installation, the insert is compressed so it will enter the tapped hole. After installation, each coil expands outward to permanently anchor the insert. Since the insert is made of wire, it automatically adjusts itself to any expansion or contraction of casting.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10436/417662E9E1CB45AF8D2CF4E9165D7785.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-10-2006, 12:01 PM
BillyMac

Tap and Die or else helicoil. Helicoil saved my butt on my C4 bellhousing.

Quick Reply: Intake Threaded Hole Totally Screwed