Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

restoring 66 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 11:55 PM
oldmustang66

Default restoring 66 mustang

<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color=black size=2>I am restoring a 1966 mustang. It has the original straight 6 motor in it and a new transmission that we are about to get rid of. Most of the wires seem old and crappy so i was going to replace them and rewire most of the car. The blinkers on the car don't work and i dont know what to do about it. There are a bunch of loose wires that were sitting under the carpet when i took it out. The seats are very hard to get out and any advise would much appreciated. A new exhaust was just put on beforeI bought it, but I dont like the way it sounds so asuggestionon a new exhaust would be nice.And if anybodyhas restored a 66 mustang any advice would beappreciated.</FONT></P>
Old 06-14-2003, 05:55 AM
Mustangood
2nd Gear Member

If you have rust anywhere, Get Rid Of It.</P>
Old 08-30-2003, 01:15 PM
Ulisesstang

I have a 66 too, and it needs the fuel tank change cause rust, what facts should i take for change it, can some body helpme?
Old 08-31-2003, 09:58 PM
bigchalupa
1st Gear Member

if it's anything like the 67's fuel tank it is pretty self-explanatory, just make sure that you don't ruin the rest of the area around it when taking it out
Old 02-15-2004, 09:59 PM
kevs66coupe

i just recently restored my 66 coupe and if your truly set on restoring ur old stang then follow through with it but my advise is, if your car had any rust at all then sell it because it cost alot of money to get it professionally restored <edited><editID>kevs66coupe</editID><editDate>38032.8333449074</editDate></edited>
Old 02-17-2004, 09:31 PM
Ulisesstang

Default RE: restoring 66 mustang

It's so sad to see your response, because i really love my "iron horse"
Old 02-18-2004, 07:07 PM
1966 Mustang15
1st Gear Member

if it has rust dont worry bout it just buy some naval jelly from your local parts store and out it on and let it sit for a while it will eat rust wuick and easy.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:29 PM
meich75

I have a 66 coupe also and if it has a little rust it's not a lost cause. You can repair a lot of it yourself and depending on where it is you can replace some of the body panels without spending too much. The easiest way to fix the wires is with a Painless wiring kit, they cost around $400. If that's out of your budget you can go buy a few spools of wire and start replacing wires that are old and corroded. If one side of your blinkers still works you can use that as a guide to where the wires on the other side should go. For the loose wires you can try to match colors and see how far that gets you. If they are under the carpet they may just be to stereo equipment that a former owner left. There are a lot of books that have complete wiring diagrams for your car if you have the patience. If you like the car and are willing to put the time in you will probably enjoy it a lot more than someone who just drops it off at the restoration shop and has it done in a few weeks. It may take you years but you will know every bit of the car. If you're near Raleigh,NC I probably have some extra parts you could have. Good luck if you decide to stick with the project.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:18 AM
skiter

Rust...rust...rust. It's meatal's natural way to protect itself. So don't think so bad of it. Instead, use Stop Rust! solution. It acctually needs rust to take effect. It takes rust and goes ito chemical reaction to create sealable cover for the area. Of course, if you can see thru the metal, then replace the that piece. But if it's light, not too deep area rust, or you just want to prevent "suspectable" areas from future rusting, use Stop Rust!. It works for me. I treated commen problem of rust under back window in the trunk, and it's good now...
Stop Rust! is acctually marine product. I used it on the ship but took it to the car. So far, so good. Good luck wit your restoration.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:31 PM
car99r

Hello, new member here. I myself just bought a 1966 Coupe about 1 week ago. It has the straight 6. Not too much rust through out but some surface rust. Good Luck on your car and I would love to hear of any how-to sites and or help sites that anyone knows of. This is my first project as well. Thanks in advance.

Chris

Quick Reply: restoring 66 mustang