Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

restoration books and other resources - any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 09:06 PM
josephmartins

Default restoration books and other resources - any suggestions?

I'm amazed. I tried searching a couple forums. I tried searching Amazon. And I've yet to find a thread about this topic. Or a book with a half-way decent review.

I'm hoping someone might have a few recommendations based on what they've read or used as a resource. And if you've actually done some of it yourself and you've created a writeup...I'd be very grateful for a link.

I'm no stranger to restorations but I'd really like to get a book with decent information about restoring 67-68s (or at least a book with detailed photos and diagrams to use as a reference). Interior, engine bay, chassis...anything that would help. Of particular interest is anything about frame restoration since I'm going to be elbows deep in what is likely the most difficult framework I've ever encountered. I need to replace both full rear rails and half the front.

Also...anyone know of a place with a decent priced rotisserie? I've seen them for as low as $725...maybe that's as low as they go. I'm just damn tired of doing work flat on my back. It'd be nice to use one for a change.

Thanks guys!

Old 06-22-2006, 09:18 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

Default RE: restoration books and other resources - any suggestions?

I have "How To Rebuild a 289" which is great and a shop manual is a must in my opinion

As far as the rotisserie goes, there is a book (forget the name) which teaches how to build one yourself which is just as good. I know a guy who did this and he loves it
Old 06-22-2006, 09:35 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Visit the FAQ section at the top. You will get information on how two restore your classic and how to build your own rotisserie.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:57 PM
josephmartins

Soaring...I couldn't find anything about rotisseries on the site under FAQ/Search and "build your own" doesn't get any hits either.

Could you please point me in the right direction?
Old 06-22-2006, 10:05 PM
josephmartins

Hmmmm...this might be just what I need:

http://www.ponypics.com/spitfire/rotisserie.html
Old 06-22-2006, 10:58 PM
coda618
3rd Gear Member

Best engine book "how to rebuild your small block ford." Not a hot rod guide, but a step by step guide to tear down, reconditioning of block and heads etc. and rebuild. Really a good book.

Best all around - The original Ford Service manual. (67 is a Blue Cover)Reprints all over ebay. This is a ford document that covers all systems, body, engin brakes, windows etc. In my opinion hte best source for information. In all the other resto books I have read, none are as complete and they are usually regurgitating what is in the manual. What this doesn't really cover is things such as rust repair, welding in replacement rails etc. It is intended for the maintenance your mustang. However, it does include factory chassis measurements, which are invaluable when replacing frame rails etc.

I, like most, have bought loads of mustang books and magazines ver the years. I bought these two books about twenty years ago and I still have them, covered in grease and other assorted gunk. They are the only books I consistently continue to use. Even when changing brake shoes, a job I have done too many times to count, I still refer to the diagrams in the manual showing the spring lay out. Start with these two, you can't go wrong.

Good Luck
Old 06-22-2006, 11:01 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

I really like the rotisserie guide that you found but here is the link in FAQ that Soaring was talking about
Old 06-23-2006, 12:22 AM
josephmartins

67Sally, you rock man....I could not find that link. Thank you very much. I like that it is specific for Stang owners.

Is this the one your friend built as well...or was it another? I'd really love to see a few pics of this one in use.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:05 AM
josephmartins

Who is the author of the book you mentioned? I found several different authors with similar titles.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:06 AM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

If memory serves he was using a book. Next time I talk to him I'll see if I can get some pics. He has a 67 Fastback on it

Quick Reply: restoration books and other resources - any suggestions?