Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What got you into Mustangs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 11:25 PM
MidNite27
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What got you into Mustangs?

Hot wheels and the GT500. I mean u just look at the car and ur into it. Thats pretty much it
Old 07-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

Saw a seedy-looking character with lambchop sideburns driving a blue 65/66 2+2 around our neighborhood when I was a kid (late 60s/early 70s). From that moment on, I knew what I wanted to drive and who I wanted to look like.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:28 PM
67Sally
4th Gear Member

Congrats JBradley...that's pretty sweet
Old 07-04-2006, 11:33 PM
JBradley500
3rd Gear Member

thanks buddy...you need to see this boss to see why i'm officially insane over mustangs.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:39 PM
paladin_1888
2nd Gear Member

In my case when the Mustang first came out I talked my Dad into taking me to the Ford dealership for a look, loved the body style and havent gotten over it yet. Currently have a 65 coupe, but this is my fifth stang, had a couple of 67's, a 70 gt500 vert{wouldnt I love to have that one back} a 92 5.0 and now restoring the 65. Have had several old cars over the years, like a 67 firebird, couple of Falcons and a 68 Dodge charger, but the stangs are still the favorite
Old 07-05-2006, 12:19 AM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Well, I have had a number muscle cars over the years. In the past 7 years I have had sport and muscle cars, 84 Vette, 55 Chevy, 69 Road Runner, 91 Vette, 78 Vette and then a 98 Vette. At that point I was out of the hobby for about a year and then my wife says "did you see that red mustang down the road?".. It was a 67 coupe and I went and looked at it, it was a 6 cyl that was converted over to a V8. It was not done right at all... I came back and asked her, "why did you ask me to look at it?".. She responded "I thought you would like that.. So, NEVER owning a ford, I figured, what the hell... I started looking around and in a short time found my blue 66 coupe..

My wife's an angle, she never stops me from spending anything on the car or interferes with me getting any at all. She's a gem!!
Old 07-05-2006, 12:23 AM
Silver Ponys
2nd Gear Member

My dad was a die hard dodge man but when my sister got out of college he bought her a 67 coupe. I learned to drive in that car and took my driver test in it. I went through many cars in my youth, chargers,cameros,ect but somehow they never had the cool factor that first mustang had. Now I have three to play with the 65 that is the never ending project, the 98 vert that is the wifes weekend crusing car and my 05 gt which is my stress reliever when the 65 has chewed too much skin off my knuckles
Old 07-05-2006, 12:23 AM
mustang652
1st Gear Member

I graduated from high school in Dallas Tx in '65. Of the several promininent cars of people in my class was a GT Coupe and one guy had one of the very early GT 350's. I also had an Uncle who worked at the Ford plant that was located in Dallas at that time. He got the first '65 Fastback that came to Dallas. Combinaion of all of the above, I fell in love with the Mustang and never gave up the hope of eventually buying one. Bought a '65 I6 for my son when he graduated from highschool in '88 and helped him keep it in repair until he damaged it beyon my ability to fix it. Bought my '65 in '91 while I was stationed at Luke AFB in Phoenix Az. Was looking for any '65 but wanted a '65 GT fastback or convertible. Ended up with the 6 Banger Coupe I have now, and ultimately decided that I really liked the uniquiness of being one of the few people that was nuts enough to like building up a 6. I've put up with a lot of flack over doing an I6, but I think it has been worth the effort.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:27 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Well bought the Cougar first, was looking for GTO's, Mustangs, and anything that could be made fast with an engine swap back in 83. Found the Cougar, bought it over a couple other cars. Mom wanted me to get this orange with white interior and vinyl top 1976 Plymouth Volare with a slant 6.I thought it looked like a clown car. Gee what a cool car that woulda been. (barf,puke)

Well played around with the Cougar untill I could drive a couple years later, and met some other gear heads who had faster cars. A white 66 with a 289 4 speed, and a dark blue 72 coupe with a 351C 4V and IRON HORSE painted on the decklid were two of the most influential Mustangs. Since then I have helped other people with thiers, and toyed with the 72 coupe by putting 4V clevelands in it, and now the 71 fastback.

Still have a few friends who have the classic stangs, only a few with newer rides since they have issues with my LS1 daily driver. Early Fords are the easiest to work on, and can be made really fun quite easily. They wont be my "race car" mainly because I dont want to cut them up or gut them, but also because the 455 Pontiacs makes some really sweet torque for cheap. It always makes me happy to see a Chevy lose, doesnt matter whats in the other lane as long as it beats the Chevy.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:28 AM
19stang66
4th Gear Member

My brother who is 24 now bought his first mustang in highschool. It's a 88GT. From then on he and my other brother got me interested in cars. Since I was young at the time I thought that getting a classic would be soo much better than a later model because the engines and electronics would be so much easier to fix. So I bought my first stang when I was 15, that thing was a basketcase. Spent 2 years on body work and finally decided that it was going to cost to much to finish it, so we decided to find a rust free coupe. We found the one I have now down in Texas and sold my old one this past winter. It was a great learning experience with all that body work, it taught me that i never want to do body work again!

Quick Reply: What got you into Mustangs?