Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

How to install a glovebox?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 10:24 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: How to install a glovebox?

But, these aren't sheet metal screws, they are machine threaded screws. Small bolts. If the threads are stripped, taking up more space with wire won't do the trick, I wouldn't think.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:29 PM
mustang652
1st Gear Member

Granted, it might not work on all machine screw hole damage applications, especially if the hole is totalally devoid of any thread. On small machine screw application I use fewer strands of the copper. The idea being is that the copper is much softer than the screw and the metal of the stripped hole. It somewhat fills the void area and creats a wedge. The last aplication of this I used was on my acelerator rod. Nearly all the threads had stripped and I could not tighten the bolt that attaches the pedal. I put a strip of 12 guage copper wire through the rod hole, inserted the bolt and tighened it. Just don't overtighten
Old 07-08-2006, 11:39 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Sounds good Stan. It just goes to prove there is more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:56 AM
stangimgood
2nd Gear Member

i used J-B weld and solder flux to repair the holes in mine.... put J-B in holes with toothpick and flux on threads......have removed two times and still holding up!!!! thanx to an old timer for that one!!! you can still learn from the older generation!!!!!! if you listen
Old 07-10-2006, 07:57 PM
mustang652
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangimgood

i used J-B weld and solder flux to repair the holes in mine....
Thanks for the additional idea to put in the bag of tricks, long as ya' don't mind I'll pass it along as well. Got the idea on the copper wire while watching a carpenter repair stripped out door jam hinge holes on the front door of a house. He drove pine dowels into old screw holes to fill them, then reset hinge using same hole and same size screw.