Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

68 mustang Slow turn-over.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 09:26 AM
AFS_Crazy

Default 68 mustang Slow turn-over.

Hey guys,

This has been a pretty exciting week for me and my mustang, I finally got my license, and my mustang got a new carburator and battery.

So here's the problem. sometimes ill drive the car around and park it, and then the car wont turn over a couple of times, then it will turn over slowly. I'm sure that I'm going to park somewhere soon and it'll be completely dead. Last ligh I could see that when I let my foot off of the gas a little bit the headlights would dim.

Also, the new carburator has an automatic choke which I have connected directly to the battery. I guess it's not supposed to be connected to the ignition or ignition coil. Is this alright to do?

Thanks a lot for the help!
Old 07-14-2006, 11:29 AM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 68 mustang Slow turn-over.

Ok, That is the problem. The choke is draining the battery. IT should be connected to a 12 Volt power source, only with the switch in the on position. Also, when the lights dim when you let off the gas is normal. That is the alternator. That just shows you it is charging.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:06 PM
AFS_Crazy

thanks, but what is a good 12v power source to connect it to?
Old 07-14-2006, 03:48 PM
PONYBOY65
2nd Gear Member

i have the same problem...when i turn on my car in the morning it bearly starts, but when i park it and turn it back on it takes for ever and it bearly turns over. It seems like my battery is dead, but it cant be because i just bought a brand new battery. anybody know the issue?
Old 07-14-2006, 04:37 PM
daves67

Older GM products were famous for the starter slowly turning after it had been driven. The starter was too close to the engine and would get hotter than it should resulting in a slow starter.
I doubt if that is your problem.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:14 PM
AFS_Crazy

thats interesting, because it just happened to me again. I drove about a mile total, came back, and now it won't start. I had disengaged the choke from the battery before I drove, so do you guys think the alternator is bad?
Old 07-14-2006, 05:25 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Your switchable 12V power source can be obtained at the ignition switch. The Blue/black wire is the switchable line. Peel back some of the line then wire your choke to that. Check to make sure you have a spacer under your carburetor. Whenever the engine gets hot, and you turn it off, it will boil the gas in the carb bowl causing hard starts. Also, regarding your alternator, just take it out and take it to a parts place and have it tested. If if is bad, also replace the voltage regulator as well. If your alternator is good, then take out the starter and have it tested. It could be dragging due to the heat.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:11 AM
daves67

GM decided that the starter could be wrapped in insulation to decrease the severity of heat on the starter.

I doubt if it's the heat. A mile doesn't sound like it would be far enough to build up that much heat in the starter...unless the starter is on it's way out anyway.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:15 AM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Now, when it doesn't start, does it turn over? click? nothing?
Old 07-15-2006, 03:58 AM
PONYBOY65
2nd Gear Member

mine starts, but bearly...it seems as if the battery is dead. For example this is how "it sounds".

normal:clikclickrummmmmmmmmm rummmmmmmm

my car in the morning: Clik...clik...clik.ruuuummmm ruuuuuummmm

after i drive, turn it off and than back on: clik..............................clik............ ..............clik.rummmmmm rummmmmm

Quick Reply: 68 mustang Slow turn-over.