Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Edelbrock performer rpm VS. Edelbrock performer rpm AIR GAP

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 08:36 PM
Smothers
3rd Gear Member

Default Edelbrock performer rpm VS. Edelbrock performer rpm AIR GAP

Thinking about upgrading my intake manifold from a Edelbrock performer to a Edelbrock performer rpm. Does anyone have a opinion on the newer version "performer rpm air-gap"? I'm wondering if its worth the extra $$$.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 07-27-2006, 08:42 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Edelbrock performer rpm VS. Edelbrock performer rpm AIR GAP

If you have the clearance for it, in theory the Air Gaps would produce more HP on the same setup. I'd have to see a dyno run though to really say whether the gain is worth it.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:32 AM
EricButler
1st Gear Member

It is all about the COMBO!! If your engine has the right parts the Performer RPM air gap will be an awesome choice. If your motor only makes power up to 5,000 then the regular performer is the way to go. If your power band is 6,000+ then the RPM or air gap will be the hot ticket for you.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:51 AM
Smothers
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the responses. I believe I have a combo that can utilize this manifold. I was/am looking for someone to tell me they had experience with the thing and that its something of a gimic and/or just not worth it.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:45 AM
EricButler
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Smothers

Thanks for the responses. I believe I have a combo that can utilize this manifold. I was/am looking for someone to tell me they had experience with the thing and that its something of a gimic and/or just not worth it.
The Air Gap manifold has been proven time and time again to provide a cooler intake charge since the runners are separated from the lifter valley. Now your not going to feel this in the seat of the pants I can tell you that. It has been proven to provide in the best conditions maybe 5hp more and your just not going to feel that driving around on the street. I have ran the regular performer RPM and then I switched to the air gap. I didn't notice any gain. The main thing is that manifold looks better...LOL Now on the 351 engine the Air Gap intake is actually taller then the Regular RPM for the 351 engine so there is a bigger difference in performance there with that set up. But on the 302 the RPM and the Air Gap are the exact same height so the runners are the same.

If your combo will work with it then just buy the Air Gap and be done.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:35 PM
Smothers
3rd Gear Member

Cool EB, I appreciate your comments/suggestions.
ORIGINAL: EricButler

ORIGINAL: Smothers

The Air Gap manifold has been proven time and time again to provide a cooler intake charge since the runners are separated from the lifter valley. Now your not going to feel this in the seat of the pants I can tell you that. It has been proven to provide in the best conditions maybe 5hp more and your just not going to feel that driving around on the street. I have ran the regular performer RPM and then I switched to the air gap. I didn't notice any gain. The main thing is that manifold looks better...LOL Now on the 351 engine the Air Gap intake is actually taller then the Regular RPM for the 351 engine so there is a bigger difference in performance there with that set up. But on the 302 the RPM and the Air Gap are the exact same height so the runners are the same.

If your combo will work with it then just buy the Air Gap and be done.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:43 AM
Smothers
3rd Gear Member

Changed my mind after talking to a mechanic friend. Since I have a toploader (no 5th gear) and put many highway miles on the car, I am wanting to change the diff. gears to 3.25 from 3.50. And since the performer RPM has a higher rpm powerband, I would be a dog off the line with 3.25 gears and a intake that has a powerband that starts at 1,500 rpms. I think I will still go with the "air gap", but on a performer intake.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:11 AM
69 Sportsroof

Skip changing the rear gears and change the toploader to a 5 speed and go with the RPM or RPM airgap. The regular performer isn't a whole lot better than a stock 4bbl intake. You don't want the power to start kicking in really good until the RPM's are up anyway.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:42 AM
EricButler
1st Gear Member

You cannot get the airgap design in the performer model. That only comes in the performer RPM intake and the Vic Jr.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:55 AM
Twister
5th Gear Member

the air gap is great for higher RPM engines that like to scream, however the distributor will not clear it without some grinding

Quick Reply: Edelbrock performer rpm VS. Edelbrock performer rpm AIR GAP