Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

My speedo works in reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 09:33 AM
bbbitter
1st Gear Member

Default My speedo works in reverse.

I can't figure this one out. I have a Ford Toploader 4 speed tranny in my 65. I had the car jacked up diagnosing another problem and in reverse, the speedo worked like I was going forward. It's barried at 0 mph going forward. I guess there was some kind of difference in speedo gears for the 4 speed in that year but what I can't figure out, is if the guy that sold me the car put it in and it's the wrong gear, how did he even get it in? Did he just jam it in as hard as he could. Anybody have any suggestions on what to try to get my speedo working in the right direction. First task I have found is going to be getting the old one out. It isn't coming out easily that's for sure. Thanks guys.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:42 AM
Cannonball888
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: My speedo works in reverse.

That's a mystery. There are left-hand and right-hand driven gears, but I don't think that would cause the speedometer to move in reverse. Just go to a Ford dealer parts dept. and pick up the correct driven gear. I got one there for my T-5, but I'm sure they fit the toploader too. They're about 7 dollars.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:08 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Think that one's weird!? My rpm gauge on mine revs in reverse. Like, if im idling it hangs around 7 with a rev it will go down to 4 or so and then go back to 7.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:39 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Sounds like you're wired backward.

ORIGINAL: baddog671

Think that one's weird!? My rpm gauge on mine revs in reverse. Like, if im idling it hangs around 7 with a rev it will go down to 4 or so and then go back to 7.
Is the speedo drive on the driver's or passenger side of the tailshaft?

I can't figure this one out. I have a Ford Toploader 4 speed tranny in my 65. I had the car jacked up diagnosing another problem and in reverse, the speedo worked like I was going forward. It's barried at 0 mph going forward. I guess there was some kind of difference in speedo gears for the 4 speed in that year but what I can't figure out, is if the guy that sold me the car put it in and it's the wrong gear, how did he even get it in? Did he just jam it in as hard as he could. Anybody have any suggestions on what to try to get my speedo working in the right direction. First task I have found is going to be getting the old one out. It isn't coming out easily that's for sure. Thanks guys.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:19 PM
Tomphot
1st Gear Member

I've got the same problem with my T-10
When I got my car, the speedometer cable was cut.
After replacing the cable and driven gear, I found that it only worked in reverse. It doesn't matter which driven gear I put in, they only show a speed in reverse.
I now have shaft pulled and am replacing the drive gear with one that has the opposite angle on it than the one installed. I have no idea how an incorrect gear was installed in the first place. It's a steel gear and it is a pain to get off.
I should have it done tomorrow and I hope I finally have a speedometer that works.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:57 PM
Tomphot
1st Gear Member

Well - I pulled the gear box apart and the dive gear in it is splined from top left to lower right. This is the opposite of what it should be for a T10 or a Toploader.
The gears I had to replace it with were both wrong, they were plastic with an ID of 1 3/8"
It should be metal with an ID of 1 1/4".
I am now trying to find the correct gear - 12 calls with no luck yet.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:45 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

If I'm not mistaken the difference is between the toploader and the t10 side loader. The speedo gear went into the trans on different sides. So the gears are different. I think you have a gear for a side loader.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:02 PM
deadcarnahans
3rd Gear Member

The speedo gears for the top loader are cut in reverse. Buy the correct part from Ford.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:52 PM
Cannonball888
2nd Gear Member

Yep. The driven gears have either a left or right twist. Pull the one you have and get one from Ford cut in the opposite direction. Make sure it has the same number of teeth.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:18 PM
Tomphot
1st Gear Member

After talking to 23 people at gear shops, tranny shops, speedo shops and old ford shops - from NY to LA, I have found that the proper Drive Gear for a T10 is no longer available. The T10 on my car was apparently built with a steel drive gear that was incorrect - spline from lower right to top left - one guy told me that he has seen this a few times, someone building a T10 can't find the correct gear and puts one on that is incorrect. SK Speed shop is using a T5 drive gear that has the wrong ID by using a spring clip, drilling the shaft and using a bushing.
Late today, I found a guy who builds T10s in Conn. - he who found one in a pile of gears.
What an adventure