Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

The spongy brake pedal blues

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 12:24 AM
ideal_mustangs
4th Gear Member

Default The spongy brake pedal blues

So, as you all probably know, I did the Granda conversion on my car a while back. The brakes are pretty good and and I'm happy with them all except the pedal is spongy. I've bled and bled and no air comes out that I can see. I'm comparing it to my truck brake pedal which is rock hard. Are the disc just going to be spongy compared to drums because there is more fluid to move or what. Could my MC still have air in it?
Old 08-02-2006, 12:40 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: The spongy brake pedal blues

did you bench bleed the MC and when you are bleeding you/or someone else is holding the pedal down when the bleeder screw is still out and then held down while you tighten it
Old 08-02-2006, 12:54 AM
Todd1919
1st Gear Member

Are your calipers on the proper sides. I converted to disk brakes and when I installed my calipers I had the bleed valve on the bottom, found out when I had a wheel alignment done that my calipers were on the wrong side and that was why I had spongy brakes. The bleed valve should be on the top of the caliper or you will never get all the air out. Hopefully it's something simple that your over looking.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:57 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

thats what i meant
Old 08-02-2006, 12:57 AM
ideal_mustangs
4th Gear Member

Yeah, the calipers are one the right side. I checked that already. I bled the master cylinder, but it just came with plugs and said to screw them in a pump it until you don't see bubbles anymore. Somehow I just don't know it that is as good as the fitting with the hose. I can't find the fittings to do that though.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:03 AM
Gun Jam

Does the pedal make it to the floor? If not how far does it get from the floor when you step on it real hard?

Gun
Old 08-02-2006, 11:49 AM
jdforsythe
1st Gear Member

Do you still have drum brakes on the rear? if so, that could be your problem. Mine stayed spongy until I adjusted the rears several times, up to the point where I had significant drag on them. Your front discs may be activating first and the spongy is feeling is all the travel you have on the rear drums....just a thought
Old 08-02-2006, 01:15 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Have you thought about using an adjustable proportioning valve? Sounds like you may be putting too much fluid to the rear brakes, and the front disks are not being utilized to their fullest potential.
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...tioning_valve/
Old 08-02-2006, 07:32 PM
ideal_mustangs
4th Gear Member

I've got the valve off of the Granada. I've not locked them up on the pavement, but on gravels, the front lock before the rears. ALso, when I pull the ebrake, which would be the same as adjusting the rears, it doesn't help the pedal feel much.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:09 AM
mustangnerd

funny, im having the same problem with my 65 mustang that i did a ssbc conversion to. it stops ok but it wouldnt be easy for me to lock up the brakes. not sure if my proportions arent set right or what, but i havent had a chance to test it yet. its kind of an annoying problem isnt it?

Quick Reply: The spongy brake pedal blues