Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Insurance for a Classic Driver Found

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 09:18 PM
Code_S_390

Default Insurance for a Classic Driver Found

Just got off the phone with Progressive Auto Insurance. They will insure your classic as a driver with NO...yes I said NO, restrictions! The agent explained my premium is based off my stated value of the car but if an accident were to occur, I'd have to prove my stated value through receipts, resent sales, or reputable appraisal. Liability, collision, comprehensive, and uninsured motorist all covered.

...OK, you knew there had to be a catch, didn't you?? The bad news is, of course, it’s expensive.

I'm a Mil officer, no accidents, perfect record, no claims, with an alarmed garage, married, over 25, no teenagers in the house...yet, and my premium (with $250/$500 deductible) will be $946.00 for six (6) months!! (stated value: $35.000)

Yep, expensive, but the peace of mind I'll have when I drive my car to work, the mall, or to drop my kids off at school knowing that none of these activities could/would make my claim null and void should the car be seriously damaged is, well....I guess very worth it to me.

I'd be interested in what the rest of you folks are doing for insurance, how you drive your car, etc.

Here's the web page for Progressive:
http://www.progressive.com/

For what its worth….

Lee

[IMG]local://upfiles/46254/83DA6A0A971D42DD9836A9E9A211C5E2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-19-2006, 11:32 PM
Leighky
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Insurance for a Classic Driver Found

Yep, this is what we do also. I pay 734 for 6 mon. for our 65 coupe with the same deds you got; however the stated value on ours is only 13K. But I agree Progressive is more costly than the classic cars insurances but I think its worth being able to drive the car whenever you want.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:41 PM
Toddman0025
2nd Gear Member

I have a huge dilemma when it comes to my car insurance, I purchased my '69 from a family member for $300 and it costs me $190/year to insure. So when it gets wrecked/stolen I imagine they're going to cut me a check for $300 [sm=bangbang.gif]

Old 08-19-2006, 11:59 PM
ideal_mustangs
4th Gear Member

Mines through state farm and its only 150 every six months for 20,000. Full coverage. I think there is a 7.5K mile a year restriction, but I don't even drive my daily driver that much.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:29 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Code_S_390

Just got off the phone with Progressive Auto Insurance. They will insure your classic as a driver with NO...yes I said NO, restrictions! The agent explained my premium is based off my stated value of the car but if an accident were to occur, I'd have to prove my stated value through receipts, resent sales, or reputable appraisal. Liability, collision, comprehensive, and uninsured motorist all covered.

...OK, you knew there had to be a catch, didn't you?? The bad news is, of course, it’s expensive.

I'm a Mil officer, no accidents, perfect record, no claims, with an alarmed garage, married, over 25, no teenagers in the house...yet, and my premium (with $250/$500 deductible) will be $946.00 for six (6) months!! (stated value: $35.000)

Yep, expensive, but the peace of mind I'll have when I drive my car to work, the mall, or to drop my kids off at school knowing that none of these activities could/would make my claim null and void should the car be seriously damaged is, well....I guess very worth it to me.

I'd be interested in what the rest of you folks are doing for insurance, how you drive your car, etc.

Here's the web page for Progressive:
http://www.progressive.com/

For what its worth….

Lee

[IMG]local://upfiles/46254/83DA6A0A971D42DD9836A9E9A211C5E2.jpg[/IMG]

im going eith progressive now, i have state farm and to insure my 69, itd be a little over 1 grand for 6 months.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:40 AM
dawtips
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ideal_mustangs

Mines through state farm and its only 150 every six months for 20,000. Full coverage. I think there is a 7.5K mile a year restriction, but I don't even drive my daily driver that much.
What??!? How? State Farm charges me about 1000 for full coverage. Please enlighten me.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:46 AM
bobcat65

I have My 65 Coupe fully insured through 21st Century insurance in Ohio. and my Premiums are $73.00 every Six Months. Unfortunately I have had to use them, when I colided with a deer. did over 2000.00 worth or damage and it only cost me $100.00. mayb worth checking out.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Code_S_390

Please correct me if I'm wrong (I'd love to pay less for insurance) but I think if you look at the fine print and "limitations for use" in your contract you'll find that if you drive your car to work (even once), go for an errand at the local store, etc, they can/could/will deny your claim. Normally, the low annual rates are such because they put mileage limits (2500-6000 per yr) and for the most part allow you to only go to shows, parades and the occasional cruise.

However, if someone has "daily driver" coverage and is only paying > $1500 per year, I truly want to hear about it so I can save some $.

It looks like though I'll be calling State Farm on Monday to see what they can provide...more to follow.......

Lee
Old 08-20-2006, 02:54 PM
Leighky
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Code_S_390

Please correct me if I'm wrong (I'd love to pay less for insurance) but I think if you look at the fine print and "limitations for use" in your contract you'll find that if you drive your car to work (even once), go for an errand at the local store, etc, they can/could/will deny your claim. Normally, the low annual rates are such because they put mileage limits (2500-6000 per yr) and for the most part allow you to only go to shows, parades and the occasional cruise.

However, if someone has "daily driver" coverage and is only paying > $1500 per year, I truly want to hear about it so I can save some $.

It looks like though I'll be calling State Farm on Monday to see what they can provide...more to follow.......

Lee
Yep watch out for that fine print. I like being able to drive my car without having to ponder that if I were to have a wreck today would it be covered.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:26 PM
thecarphotoguy1

I've had Hagerty Insurance for years, 66 GT Vert & wife's 64 Studebaker, agreed value (no appraisals). No milage restriction, although the cars are not to be work cars (I'm retired so they aren't)! Anyway, only $385 a year for full coverage on BOTH cars. You might want to check with them at www.hagerty.com.

[IMG]local://upfiles/44669/7C88EE7E3DA3430FB471ADED395F420B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/44669/DA6835DA71ED4220984492D021BC5D1B.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Insurance for a Classic Driver Found