Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Stereo System in your Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 04:06 PM
Batmanstang
1st Gear Member

Default Stereo System in your Mustang

I was thinking about getting a little better sound on my way home from the Car show at lake George this past weekend. What's the best way to get better sound? I was thinking about changing the dash and door speakers as well as getting the deck that looks like an old mustang deck, but it's not. I can't think of the website right now. Also, since I don't have folding seats I was thinking about putting in some rear speakers. Would this hurt my value? What have you guys done?
Old 09-11-2006, 04:30 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Stereo System in your Mustang

If you have a coupe, putting in speakers in the package tray won't hurt the value at all. If and when you go to sell it, just take them out and make a new package tray out of masonite. You may also want to look into getting the kick panels that accept speakers.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:36 PM
19stang66
4th Gear Member

I bought the kick panels that accepted speakers. I put in Sony 3-ways and I can barely hear them. Not worth it IMO. But the 6x9 3-ways in the rear package tray sound awesome, I also have a 10" RF sub in the trunk.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:41 PM
dawtips
2nd Gear Member

Ya I agree with 19stang66. I can hardly hear the kickpanel speakers, but the rear 4x10's I have sound amazing
Old 09-11-2006, 04:49 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

A combination of new speakers in the rear, kick panels, and one in the dash should sound decent enough. Personally for normal coaxial speakers, I would never get Sony. Pioneer makes some decent stuff that wont break your wallet.

I think I saw that package tray your talking about in a Mustang Monthly listing...
Old 09-11-2006, 05:45 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

This is one area that I have some expertise. I have installed a wide variety of systems on many different budgets.

I would not run rear speakers. I don't run rear fill in any of the cars that I have put systems in. In general it is a much better idea to amplify the front speakers to get a louder clearer sound.

I will make my own kick panels to house the front speakers I want, but if looking for the easy way out buy the pre fab ones w/o the speakers. Elemental designs and CDT both make a couple of great component sets that can be mounted as a coaxial speaker. Get a reasonably powerful 4 channel amplifier and run the front two speakers off of channel 1 and 2. Get a small subwoofer enclosure and a descent woofer and run it off of channels 3 and 4 bridged.

Run that system off of a descent headunit in the glovebox or maybe in a custom console and you can achieve great sound for minimal dollars.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Batmanstang
1st Gear Member

I was thinking of replacing the dash speaker with a dual voice coil (DVC) speaker, replacing the speakers in the door and either cutting out the back to add some rears or getting some enclosed speakers.

2 Dilemas

1 is the deck. The deck I have in now is a mustang kenwood radio/tape deck and I don't think it has a lot of power. I want to keep the classic look so, I don't think I want to put in a new deck in it's place. I saw a head unit on www.customautosound.com that looked ok, but I'm still not sure about it. I did think about putting one in the glove box, but I don't think there's enough room for it. Has anyone else tried to do this?

2 is I like to go to shows with the car. I'm not sure if I will get penalized for putting in rear speakers. However, I don't know what the judges think of rear speakers. I thought of a sub, but will that be more costly and penalize me just as much? There isn't a lot of space in these trunks as we all know and I do take it on some long trips for shows.

I'm not looking for a system that is going to shake the whole car, but I would like something comparable to my Mach460 system I once had. What would you guys suggest on the deck and the rears/sub?
Old 09-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

It depends on the shows, and what categories they offer for you to show your car. Here at the MOCA the only criteria was how clean it is. I got beat out by a restomod because he definitely had a very slick car, but was far from concours. You could get some masonite and mount your speaks in the deck, then when you go to shows, you just unplug the speakers and leave them in the masonite shelf, and put in a masonite shelf without the speakers. That is, if you wish to show your car in the concours driven class. It's going to be hard to hide those kick panel speakers though unless you keep your original kick panels and change them out just before the show.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Batmanstang
1st Gear Member

There are already speakers in the doors. i was just going to change the speakers themselves.

So, the judges probably will deduct me for having rear speakers in a competition?
Old 09-11-2006, 08:31 PM
restomod66
3rd Gear Member

Guys,
You could always modify your sound installation so you do not damage any dashboard or kick panels. The car that I have has a custom made housing and speaker box to eliminate altering the vehicle originality. Check it out at www.dropshots.com/restomod66

Quick Reply: Stereo System in your Mustang