Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Front Suspension/Steering replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 12:57 AM
jarrettdad
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Front Suspension/Steering replacement

With the new 17" Shelby 10 spokes

God, I'm sooooooo far from paint and wheels...it hurts.....
Old 09-15-2006, 12:56 PM
jarrettdad
2nd Gear Member

Reen Machine uses Heidt's front ends.

Reendmachine.com
Old 09-15-2006, 01:19 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Well since I am a local hero of sorts.. lol.. Here is what the plan is for the nightmare of rust. Granada disc swap, rebuilt stock parts, and some reinforcing for later. After its actually running and on the road again, body work completed, engine done, trans working, then I will change something on the front suspension. Since you dont have any of that stuff, you need to find a good donor car or cough up a few grand to the streetrod guys just to get it on the road.

We are in the same boat in that we have projects nobody in their right mind would take on, that someone else screwed up in the first place. First thing you and I need is a direction, a plan of action as to what we want when its done. Mine is too rough to be a resto or worth mega bucks unless I go drastic and change everything. So now its down to what do I want to do with it? I have a drag car so thats out, no need for two of them. I have a corner carver, so dont need one of them either. I have a fuel efficient daily driver, well two of them. Kinda makes me wonder what I want this Mustang for now, but its a fastback and its cool, and strangely its numbers matching. Besides I am neck deep in the fecal matter of someone elses screw up, so its sink or swim. Neither is enjoyable at this point, but on has more future promise.

My budget for this one is under $1000 per month right now well its that for all my cars combined. So I cant exactly go out and buy a complete front end for it, so I make do untill I have enough saved up. I have a long way to go before I can set it back on the ground anyway. I wonder how much wire/gas will go through my welder before its done. Save up for whatever you want to do to it, you have plenty fo time before its ready for engine, trans and front end. If you arent panning on selling it, then just do what you can when you can and upgrade later. I know it would suck to buy two entire front suspensions for it, but would you rather drive it for a while or have it sit for another year waiting on the money, parts and time to do it the way you would like it to be?

The one thing I would love to do with mine is the GT thing, make it turn and be able to drive hard long distance. Silver State Classic and Sandhills Challenge would be great. huge brakes, 17"+ wheels low to the ground and aero everywhere, slather it in sunset orange metallic and make it rumble with a 514 CJ headed beasty under hood. Long distance with decent mileage and ultimate reliability would be the way I want to go. budget says uh yeah right, maybe in 50 years it woud be all that. I started selling cars since I will never get to them, culling the herd a bit so someoen can actually do something with it instead of it becoming a iron deposit in ten thousand years
Old 09-15-2006, 06:51 PM
jarrettdad
2nd Gear Member

First thing you and I need is a direction, a plan of action as to what we want when its done.
Agreed, that's kinda what I'm working on now.

So now its down to what do I want to do with it?
I want a head turner, quarter mile capable, but it will be more street than anything.

Save up for whatever you want to do to it, you have plenty fo time before its ready for engine, trans and front end.
First 2 I agree with, but if I decide to go with the Mustang II setup I'll need to do some mods on the front framerails. I'd rather do that right now while everything is apart.

I know it would suck to buy two entire front suspensions for it, but would you rather drive it for a while or have it sit for another year waiting on the money, parts and time to do it the way you would like it to be?
It's not just the supension I need though. It's brakes and steering as well.

huge brakes, 17"+ wheels low to the ground and aero everywhere, slather it in sunset orange metallic and make it rumble with a 514 CJ headed beasty under hood.
mmmmmmmmm.......[drooling]

Old 09-15-2006, 06:59 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

you need a donor car.. and front suspension can wait a bit.. Get the body work done on the back half of it. Takes time to do all that, especially with your quarters. I know, you have to plan ahead. I do the same thing, research now, decide in a few months/years and then do it whenever you can afford it..

Call a junkyard and find out what Hollander number the steering column and box is for your car, something Ford made has got to interchange with it. Those kids of parts Ford rarely did one off or one model only, something has to fit from a Falcon or Torino, maybe even an F150.. you never know.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:02 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

I would give you my drum brakes and spindles for free if you were nearby. I have 77 Granada spindles for it now..
Old 09-15-2006, 08:18 PM
jarrettdad
2nd Gear Member

you need a donor car
I am really starting to agree with that statement..... [&:]

I would give you my drum brakes and spindles for free if you were nearby.
We're pretty far off, but both are named Todd. Did I see that on the X-Files? Is Soaring the Smoking Man?