Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

LED Brake lights - DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 03:09 AM
Calixtus

Default LED Brake lights - DIY?

I know my way around a schematic and a soldering iron, and I figured I can make my own LED brake light conversions for way less than what is being charged for the kits. I was wondering if anyone else has tried and if they have success or horror stories to share. Also, if anyone has recommendations on a particular LED bulb that works well I'd really appreciate it.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:46 AM
Gun Jam

Default RE: LED Brake lights - DIY?

Should be no problem, dont know what you plan to use as a board but just about any non-conductive material should do. A series circuit should do the trick, just remember they are diodes and only pass current one way so make sure they are all facing the same direction (notch indicates +)

I would get a bunch of high intensity leds with a larger pattern, a narrow beam wont give as nice of diffusion. Find the brightest led you can get with a decent illumination pattern. Most leads run on 3v so you’ll need to run a resistor on your + wire before it gets to the LEDs (not sure what size depends on how much base resistance you have) or you could find LEDs with a larger operating range say 5-12v (not sure where you can get them)

Good Luck

Gun
Old 10-26-2006, 02:17 PM
heavensonfire

I saw in California Mustangs catalog yesterday they have a reasonable kit for like 130. Might be something to look at.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:11 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

Depending on how many leds you plan on using this could be a PITA and it might be a better idea to buy the kit previously mentioned.

I couldn't imaging spending the time drilling a board and wiring up a fair amount of leds.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:21 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

i wouldn't do series i would do parallel because if one goes then you lose the circuit if you use parallel then when one goes out no big deal you still have all of your other lights wow i thought i would never get to share my electrical engineering knowledge
Old 10-27-2006, 02:14 AM
Cruzzar
1st Gear Member

You said you are making a brake light conversion but if it entails you using the brake light also as the turn signal (which is typically the case) you might have to run a resistor in line in order to get the turn signal flasher to operate. There are several suppliers that sell these items called a dummy load (Yearwood Speed and Custom about $4.oo)and I believe one or several of the wireing kit makers now makes a turn signal flasher to replace your original one that will work with the led signals (Ron Francis Wire Works, expensive). You may not have a problem if you retain your original filiment bulbs in the front turn signals, I haven't had experience with the mustang system but have run into that problem with street rods.