Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Where to buy sheet metal from?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 09:25 AM
68FastbackGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Where to buy sheet metal from?

I am about to buy a bunch of sheet metal (full floor pans, seat platforms, floor support, torque boxes, floor to fire wall, cowl patches, rear quarter panels …) and I am trying to decide where to buy from. I am a little more conserved about quality than price. Looking at the different venders web sights (NPD, Paddock, Laurel Mountain, CJ Pony), I see there is a wide variety of prices for these parts, but little description of the parts thickness. NPD lists the thickness of most of there parts, but then again they seem to be more expensive than other venders. When I call venders and ask about parts thickness, I get not so reassuring answers like, “I think its is” or “It should be”.
I am putting all this work into my baby, and I do not want to mess it up by using substandard parts. Does anybody have any advice or experience to share?

Thanks
Old 11-29-2006, 09:58 AM
rwh129
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Where to buy sheet metal from?

I bought from both CJ Pony and NPD.
They both had good quality and service.
I would suggest using 1 or both of them.
I don't have any experience with the other 2 you mentioned.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:11 AM
Cusbuild
1st Gear Member

I have bought parts from all the places you have listed "most" of the time they carry the same stuff. I tend to get most of my stuff from Paddock but that is mainly because it's close enough to drive to and pick up so I save on shipping. I have gotten "specials" or coupons from each to save 10% on my next order or free shipping if I spend $250 or whatever. I have noticed that shipping seems to be the bigger varible in price. Since most of the parts you have listed I have bought and either installed or am installing I would suggest that you look for pieces that are greater than 18 gauge (i.e. 16 or 14) as those were closer to origianal Ford specs. Usually the thicker gauges will be a few bucks more in price and in shipping as well they weigh more, but the results are better IMHO.
Mark
Old 11-29-2006, 07:38 PM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

I was lookign at those parts in mustangs unlimited and actually foudn the same products at a Ford swapmeep in columbus ohio. They eneded up being cheaper, because you can bargian, and no shipping. -Jon
Old 11-29-2006, 08:35 PM
Lumbergh
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Cusbuild

I have bought parts from all the places you have listed "most" of the time they carry the same stuff. I tend to get most of my stuff from Paddock but that is mainly because it's close enough to drive to and pick up so I save on shipping. I have gotten "specials" or coupons from each to save 10% on my next order or free shipping if I spend $250 or whatever. I have noticed that shipping seems to be the bigger varible in price. Since most of the parts you have listed I have bought and either installed or am installing I would suggest that you look for pieces that are greater than 18 gauge (i.e. 16 or 14) as those were closer to origianal Ford specs. Usually the thicker gauges will be a few bucks more in price and in shipping as well they weigh more, but the results are better IMHO.
Mark
I'm basically in the same situation, except different sheet metal needs. The floor pan replacements that I've seen either don't list the thickness or they are 19 gauge, and I checked literally dozens of sites. One site warned that the full length (driver's side or passenger's side) floor pans should not be used other than to cover up the welds and give a seemless appearance, which made me more than a little apprehensive about ordering. Any thoughts on the use of 19 gauge steel for the floor pans would be appreciated by me as well.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:56 PM
sweet 65
1st Gear Member

go with npd. Last time i bought a part from paddock it was crap. I havent bought from the other places but npd is awesome.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:06 PM
rustycoupe
1st Gear Member

i just picked up some floor pans and basiclaly all of what you mentioned from the paddock thsi monday. i havent been able to install yet nor do i know much about it. but they were well priced and seem to be good parts so we'll see. i drove there and picked them up so that saves a lot on shipping
Old 11-29-2006, 09:47 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

They all buy from the same supplier. Pick a place you can drive to and inspect the parts before you buy...NPD is big enough that they stock the parts inhouse. Who ever you pick call before you go and ask if it's in stock..