Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Sand Blaster Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 06:47 AM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Sand Blaster Help

i know i will need it eventually when i redo the engine compartment....its essentially a requirement ive heard since its next to impossible to get the paint off other ways since theres so many nooks and crannies....
Old 12-03-2006, 07:07 AM
ford65stang
2nd Gear Member

other pointers while sand blasting... put some tissue in your ears and then like a small piece of duck tape on the ear.....sand in the ear sucks.....and ducktape your pants to your shoes.....same reason and i recommend gloves and a long sleve shirt

and anything that is near where you are sound blasting.....like right near glass or existing paint you dont want to blast....a strip of duck tape works wonders......

Duct tape is kinda hard to get off if it sets.....so u can use masonary tape....usually red....same thickness as normal duct tape.....but its comes off real easy with no mess..... Painter's tape will not hold up against the sand
Old 12-03-2006, 02:02 PM
sweet 65
1st Gear Member

I wouldnt use the siphon style like that. I have a siphon style blaster and the thing doesnt work worth crap even with an 80 gallon Ingersoll Rand compressor. I have often wished that I had gone with a pressurized system instead. They are generally more expensive but I think that it would work a lot better. Try something more along the lines of this http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...t_6970_583_583
Old 12-03-2006, 06:52 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

No on both of them. Siphon sucks, litterally and figuratively. Siphon uses ALOT of air, and goes REALLY SLOWLY. You better be good at pickin up the sand, sifting it to remove the stuff that is too big, and reusing it. That is standard operating procedure anyway, but it goes really fast with a siphon type. Both of those are siphon type.

I got the Clarke pressure plaster from Summit, it came with a few extra nozzles, a small hood, and it was assembled. I loaded it up with a full load of sand and it went farther than any 10 gallons I had done before. I use 5 gallon buckets to measure how much I am using, and to sift it after I run it. It uses the least air of any of them, because once it pressurizes the tank, it can shut off untill it needs to fill some more. It has worked better and faster than any of the other ones I tried. For the time and money I wasted with the crappy little ones I could have gotten a full on soda blasting setup. Link to my blaster

get a good hood. I still need one, and I get sand in my eyes even using a grinding shield, safety goggles, and a respirator. I have a quality respirator with two filters, not the gauze stuff, you will end up in the hospital if you use the gauze. A good hood will save you alot of grief, trust me on that. Sand in your eye isnt fun at all, and it finds a way to get in there no matter what you do. Hood I need to get, you should get one too.

Dont waste your time, money and effort with the little ones, you will just spend more time and money replacing stuff to make them work, and it will take forever. You can do one front wheelwell down to bare metal, removing even the most stubborn undercoating with one load, and both rear ones one another load, if you set it up right. I wish I had gotten that thing when I did the Mustang, the back half of it will be EASY compared to the front half. If you want a bunch of junk ones that barely work like the ones you are looking at, pay shipping and you can have all of it.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:01 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

now, what do you do if you want to do this in your driveway or something.....lay down tarps and drive the car over them?
Old 12-03-2006, 07:40 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Go to menards/home depot and get two rolls of 10'x50' or 10'x100' 2mil platic sheeting. lay one section down on the ground, and build an enclosure with 2"x2" and staple the sheeting to it, duct tape it to the car so its sealed off somewhat, have a box fan to move the dust out for you. Also you need an air inlet or it will just suck itself closed on you..lol. you need to be inside the plastic with the part of the car you are working on. That will contain the sand pretty well, especially if you seal off the underside as well, then you pick the sand back up, and use the sheeting to funnel it back into the strainer/sifter.

Since I bought the wrong chimney connections for my woodstove, I used the two reducers as a sifter. I put one inside the other, and used window screen between them as the sifter. Two of them sandwiched between the two funnels would make a finer sifter if you are using a store bought abrasive.

you can build a small paint booth the same way, we did that inside my dads enormous qunoset hut. we used a grain bin ventilation fan to draw air out of it, and stacked airconditioner filters 5 deep for the inlet. we had 3 sets of the filters so we knew we would have enough air, a simple baffle kept us from having a wind tunnel instead of a paint booth. We also had a number of filters before the fan to catch most of the paint particles, and we used HVLP with low VOC paints. it came out REALLY NICE. You could do the same with inexepnsive box fans and the sheet plastic. Be sure to wear a respirator when doing that type of stuff, and find out if its illegal to do it in your area. it would be HIGHLY Illegal in california or new jersey as an example.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:16 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455

Go to menards/home depot and get two rolls of 10'x50' or 10'x100' 2mil platic sheeting. lay one section down on the ground, and build an enclosure with 2"x2" and staple the sheeting to it, duct tape it to the car so its sealed off somewhat, have a box fan to move the dust out for you. Also you need an air inlet or it will just suck itself closed on you..lol. you need to be inside the plastic with the part of the car you are working on. That will contain the sand pretty well, especially if you seal off the underside as well, then you pick the sand back up, and use the sheeting to funnel it back into the strainer/sifter.

Since I bought the wrong chimney connections for my woodstove, I used the two reducers as a sifter. I put one inside the other, and used window screen between them as the sifter. Two of them sandwiched between the two funnels would make a finer sifter if you are using a store bought abrasive.

you can build a small paint booth the same way, we did that inside my dads enormous qunoset hut. we used a grain bin ventilation fan to draw air out of it, and stacked airconditioner filters 5 deep for the inlet. we had 3 sets of the filters so we knew we would have enough air, a simple baffle kept us from having a wind tunnel instead of a paint booth. We also had a number of filters before the fan to catch most of the paint particles, and we used HVLP with low VOC paints. it came out REALLY NICE. You could do the same with inexepnsive box fans and the sheet plastic. Be sure to wear a respirator when doing that type of stuff, and find out if its illegal to do it in your area. it would be HIGHLY Illegal in california or new jersey as an example.

soon it will be illegal to exhale in California because of carbon-dioxide....then illegal to inhale because of air depletion and oxygen hogging from the little bunnies and trees and squirrels in the forest....then everyone will die from holding their breath, then no one will be around to enjoy the earth they are trying to protect...i love California, but the laws are on the loony side in most cases....some of them are alright though i guess....
Old 12-03-2006, 10:31 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Well if I gotta choose between breathing and driving my hotrods, I choose breathing and lookin at my hotrods. They arent much use if I am dead, are they?

but yeah some of the laws are just not well thought out and have little to no impact on reality.