Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

World Windsor Sr. 200 Heads

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 09:54 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: World Windsor Sr. 200 Heads

ORIGINAL: Decurion

If you are going with mild stuff (like less than .500 lift cam) I would go with 185cc heads at MOST. GT-40s will most likely get you the best results. If 6500 rpm is not a constant happening for you, the gt-40 heads will by far give you the best mix of low end grunt while still vastly improving the top end on a mild engine. They also offer room to be ported later on if you choose to go bigger and feel the heads are a restriction.
Decurion....you sound like you have a clue, but your avatar shows you to be a dumbass.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:00 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

so i called a local performace engine builder and spoke with him today and he said that getting the bigger head would be ok the only thing is that i will not be using it to its full potential and that both choices are good but i called another and he told me what decurion said so i am in a real pickle i think i am gunna call world and ask them
Old 12-06-2006, 12:32 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

The problem with overly large runners and valves is that the velocity of the charge will be too slow. This will hinder torque production and can allow the fuel to drop out of suspension.
The key is finding a port that will maximize velocity without restriction.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:38 PM
hellas85stang
4th Gear Member

good heads but ya need a mild moded car to get outta the heads what ya want..jrs are better for a astocker...i know a few guys with jrs and go 11s all motor....srs are good ,but a higher comp and good cam are req ..i know a guy with a 9.1 comp motor and vic jr intake on srs,andwas a dogggggggggggggggggggg off line...stated goin fast around 3000 rpms//make sure ya are matched to ya heads...for price/srs,jrs are great heads..
Old 12-12-2006, 04:01 PM
JBradley500
3rd Gear Member

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...ntake_flow.gif

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...haust_flow.gif

if that tells you about the flow of the jr's...
Old 12-13-2006, 05:46 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

hey that good enough for me since i am getting them for cheaper than stock replacements
Old 12-13-2006, 06:05 AM
Halz5
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Brandontyler65

ya but if i get gt40 then get them milled down to less than 60cc comustion chamber i will have spent way more than i can afford but the opotunity presents itself to get these heads and i will be getting such a good deal that i might sacrifice a little and just get the 200cc heads and deal with it or i can get the 180cc heads but what would i experience with the larger amount of flow on my mostly stock 289 cause look i can get remaned heads at work for 230 or i can get the world heads less than 200 bare or 249 assembled plus discount thats why i want to take advantage of this opportunity and i wana know the cons of the bigger flow but no one has answered that

If its such a great deal then buy them, turn around and sell them for what they're worth then get the gt40 heads, problem solved
Old 12-13-2006, 03:17 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

eh thats too much work i mean if i wanted i gould get gt40p heads from year one at a decent price
Old 12-17-2006, 07:12 AM
texasbluesdownunder
1st Gear Member

I'd have to agree with the previous posts on the Windsor Senior heads.Forget about what price you are getting them for and consider what sort of engine you want.That is more important else you'll spend a heap more on the engine,converter,diff gears etc etc than you'll ever save on the heads.
The senior heads are really for strip use only or else a pretty hot street car which will need a bigger cam,manifold,carby,high stall converter if it's an auto and low diff gears.You're bottom end of the engine is going to have to be able to withstand higher revs as well.
I have windsor junior heads on a 289 in a 66 coupe and it has been dynoed at 328 hp at the flywheel.I'm running a 2500 high stall and 3:1 gears and the car gets up and goes well.I'm certain it would run a high 13 sec 1/4 mile by the way it goes against my buddy's car that has done.
You can go the senior head route and go quicker but be prepared to spend a lot more money elsewhere and lose some driveability.
Decide what sort of engine you want at the start and build it from there regardless of deals you can get.
That's my .02 cents worth.
Ron
Old 12-17-2006, 01:34 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Its all about the total package. Cam, intake, heads, displacement, carb, headers, converter, gear. If everything works together it will run hard even with a big head, and you can also make a smaller head run with the big ones if the rest of the car is set up better. If I could get them for $500 a set assembled I would.

Conversely I will put up with alot in a hotrod, since most of what I drive is hotrods with no choke, high stall, big carbs, loud pipes etc. etc. So I am used to keeping it running, I know how to start them, and I know how to run them so I dont get tickets for spinning my tires at every light, but I also dont chug, buck, cough and sputter at every stoplight either. If you dont have it set up right, that is what you get, something that runs like crap, I have built them before and now I stay away from cams that are too big for the rest of it.

A 289 with those heads will be a winder no matter what cam you use, if you go to small it will still be somewhat of a dog, too big and it wont make any power under 4000. Small engines need RPM to make power, but they are much more sensitive to changes affeecting the bottom end, because they dont have much to start with.

Lastly, get the assembled heads. Unassembled heads will need parts you dont have, a good set of stainless valves will run $100-$200, then you need to get the springs, locks, retainers, and valves and seats machined, and the installed height right. Those heads are for the guys who port them and add their own valvetrain. For someone with the bolt on and go need, the assembled heads will work great, provided you arent trying for a 500hp 289. Dont get unassembled heads unless you are a machinist or are taking them to get ported etc.

Quick Reply: World Windsor Sr. 200 Heads