Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

winter storage 65 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 09:54 PM
cjbassbuster

Default winter storage 65 mustang

what is the best way to store a 65 for a long winters nap
Old 12-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: winter storage 65 mustang

That depends on where it is stored. If it is stored in a garage, you need to jack it up and block it so that the wheels are off the ground. Failing that, at least have some plywood under the tires so the rubber is not next to the cement. Make sure all the fluids are completely full to include the gasoline. Put in some Sta-bil in the gas. Hook up a 1 amp trickle charger for the battery. Cover it with a breathable car cover.
If you are storing it in an old shop or barn where rats and other varmits can get into the engine bay, then set out some rat poison and bowls of anti-freeze, but make sure your fav pets can't get to it. Be sure the car has been washed all over and underneath really well so there is no dirt to cause rust. Give it a good wax job and put a few moth ***** inside just before you put the cover on.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:48 PM
cjbassbuster

thanks will be starting to put away this week
Old 12-10-2006, 05:16 AM
Halz5
2nd Gear Member

Kinda curious, why cant the tires be on cement? I store my car every year and have never heard of this...
Old 12-10-2006, 02:26 PM
19stang66
4th Gear Member

Here is a great thread posted earlier this fall. https://mustangforums.com/m_1909706/tm.htm
Old 12-10-2006, 02:26 PM
restomod66
3rd Gear Member

Should the suspension hang by jacking up and using jackstands on the four corners? What do you think about using car dolly's under each tire to get it off the ground? i heard laying plastic tarp to contain any moisture from rusting the bottom?? Is it necessary to put it to bed if you run it a few times a week when the weather is not so bad?? Keep fluids up and changed and keep battery charged?
Old 12-10-2006, 02:39 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Two things I have found work pretty well for keepin mice out of cars that are stored.

1: dryer sheets in the car. Lay them liberally around the interior and the mice dont seem to like them much.
2: the yooper mouse trap.

about now you are waonder WTF is a yooper mouse trap. Well its a simple trap that works.

What you need.
1 - 5 gallon bucket
1/2 gallon of antifreeze
1 aluminum can (I like mt dew..lol)
Safety wire or baling wire. A small guage wire will do as long as it is strong.
1 jar of peanutbutter
3-6 feet of cardboard or wooden planking.

Take the can, put a hole in the bottom. String the wire through it so it will spin on the long axis. Attach the wire securely to the handles of the bucket. Pour in the 1/2 gallon of antifreeze and two gallons of water. Or enough to fill the bucket to 3" deep. smear peanutbutter all around the can. use the cardboard or some wood to make a ramp and leave the ramp about 2" from the can, so there is a gap between the two.

in operation, the mice smell the peanutbutter, climb the ramp to investigate, reach out for the can across the gap, the can rolls, mice end up in water too deep for them to touch bottom. they cant jump out as they can with a dry bucket so they drown.

32 mice this fall and counting. So far have gotten 4 with snap traps, one got snapped 4 times before he succumbed to the snap traps. I live in a forrest so there are millions of mice around.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:27 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Halz5

Kinda curious, why cant the tires be on cement? I store my car every year and have never heard of this...
Concrete is not so much the enemy of tires as is oil, grease and fuel that may be present in the concrete from past spills. The wood keeps the stuff from touching the tires.
It depends on how long the car will be stored before driving it again, but if it is going to be stored for an extended period of time then fogging the engine is a good idea. Spray fogging oil through the carburetors and spark plug cylinders. Begin by removing the air cleaner. This will allow you to spray the oil directly into the carburetor throat.
Start the engine and spray the fogging oil into the throat of the carburetor while it is idling. Continue spraying until the engine stalls and then replace the air cleaner.

Next remove the spark plugs, and spray fogging oil into each hole for a couple seconds.

Place a rag over the holes and have someone try to start the car. This will not start the engine but will allow the oil to coat and disperse internally. Clean any oil that may have dripped and then reinstall the spark plugs.

Stuff some steel wool in the exhaust pipe to keep varmints from nesting in the pipe.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:54 PM
JoeMustang
1st Gear Member

I think there are two ways of doing this, and it depends which one fits your situation. I was told that if you CAN start it every two weeks and warm it up, you should. This keeps all of your seals from drying up. So I went out every two weeks, opened up the garage and fired her up. After she was warm, I backed her up and then forward in each gear, once again working fluids through everything. This allows everything from the brakes, battery, oil seals stc from failing. It also keeps the tires from sitting in the same position. I di top off the gas once a month with fresh fuel / stabilizer in it. If you don't have easy access to your car, such as a closed storage facility, then I would think going the jack it up, fog the motor route is what I would do.

Joe
Old 12-10-2006, 04:35 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

A small dehumidifier would be a good idea too

Quick Reply: winter storage 65 mustang