Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

My first time.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 04:26 PM
Guitylerham
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: My first time.

I'm gonna go look at it with my dad today and I think it's looking good if nothign else bad comes to light. We've worked it out that I could keep my subaru as the driver, and keep the mustang in another garage and I coudl switch back and forth for the weekend or something. But one thing funny is the VIN:
5F07U144963

Now if I'm thinking right, it is a: '65, coupe, U (a '64 only 170inch engine??, and it's the 144963rd car made?
This has stumped me and PO. We can't figure out what it means. Any insight would be great. Thanks, I'm begining to get excited!
Old 12-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Guitylerham
2nd Gear Member

Well ok, I gave it some thought and I"m sure that VIN is correct. There was no '64 (4) in the codes, it started in '65 hence the 5 in the begining. So I guess no real mystery!
Old 12-10-2006, 05:44 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

There is no such thing as a 1964 Mustang. In fact, there is no such thing as a 64 1/2 Mustang, even though we refer the early 65's by that designation because the April through the first of August cars were different in many ways than the ones built after August 1 of 1964. So, that's why the VIN starts with a 5, and your registration papers will also indicate it is a 65. However, that car started it's life with a 170 CID 6 banger.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:39 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Wasn't there a 6 that was only offered until August '64? I think that's what the question may be.
ORIGINAL: Soaring

There is no such thing as a 1964 Mustang. In fact, there is no such thing as a 64 1/2 Mustang, even though we refer the early 65's by that designation because the April through the first of August cars were different in many ways than the ones built after August 1 of 1964. So, that's why the VIN starts with a 5, and your registration papers will also indicate it is a 65. However, that car started it's life with a 170 CID 6 banger.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:44 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yep, the early mustangs had a 170 CID U code , and after August they all had 200 CID T code six bangers. There was also a 289 D code low compression engine in the early 65's, and that was replaced with the 289 A and C code V8's in August.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Guitylerham
2nd Gear Member

Well we looked at the car and think we're gonna pass on it. Some panels don't line up perfectly (he said it may previously been hit in the back and possibly in the front too). We talked about how you can either get an all original car and know what's wrong with it, or you could take a risk and get a car like this that looks in good shape but its parts have all been replaced at some point. Are all mustangs 40 years old in similar shape? Are there any really straight ones left? I really have only looked at two mustangs so far and I really should look at more before I can make a good decision. I'm bummed though.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Keep looking, you'll eventually locate the one you want. My car is as straight as an arrow because it has never been in a wreck, and all the original body parts are still on it. They are out there, you just have to keep looking.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:21 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

No need to get bummed. The nice thing about Mustangs is that almost any part on them can be changed, and everything fixed with enough effort and work. If you are goin to school, and you want it for a daily driver, you just need one to be reliable. After you are done with college you can make you millions and build whatever you have now into whatever you always wanted.

So do you want to spend $8500 on this one, or wait and see if you can find another one that fits you better. There is a big difference between keeping them running and rebuilding them entirely.. You could get a basket case and throw money and time at it, or a driver and enjoy it while doing upgrades and keeping it going. or just wait and buy one when they outlaw internal combustion engines... Might be plenty of them for sale then..lol.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:37 PM
Guitylerham
2nd Gear Member

I will look on! I know I can find the car I want. I just got excited is all. I'll wait to rebuild and restore a mustang until I am older and have the resources, for now I'm gonna get a fun cruiser. Thanks for everyone's advice and insight, I really appreciated that. The beat goes on...
Old 12-10-2006, 10:39 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

mine is for sale... lol.. some assembly required...

Quick Reply: My first time.