Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

My first time.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 03:51 AM
Guitylerham
2nd Gear Member

Default My first time.

Hey, so don't laugh but I got to drive a '65 mustang coupe for the first time! I was looking at an ad for one and got to test drive it. It had a 302 in it. Man was it awesome! It was really scary though having nonpower drum brakes, I really had to step on it to come to a stop. It'd take some getting used to so that I wouldnt' be afraid to drive in all situations. But man, it was great giving it gas and hearing it chug forward (mind you, my current car is a wimpy 4-cyl subaru wagon!). He had an small aftermarket steering wheel which I didn't like. I was surprised at how difficult it was to read the instruments. I loved the interior too, it was all new and black. I passed on it tonight but I got the VIN and found out that this '65 orginally came with a 170 engine. That coudl be kidna scary as the owner didn't put in the new engine. I didn't look to see if things were upgraded accordingly. But was that a good deal for $8500? My gut said that was too much. Here is the ad:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/car/246302890.html

I've wanted a mustang for a long time and tonight only set it in concrete that i"m getting one someday!
Old 12-10-2006, 04:02 AM
Halz5
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: My first time.

how would you determine the worth? its all in the eyes of the beholder, if you want it and have the cash then go for it... even if you over pay for a classic mustang you'd regret more passing up the oppurtunity to own one.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:07 AM
ford65stang
2nd Gear Member

Im glad you liked it.....you can upgrade the brakes to power disc brakes and then get some auto meter gauges that would look nice.....The car looks really good.... I'll let the other guys decide on the price.....i bet they have some pointers for you to look at before you buy it..... Appearance: She's a beauty !
Old 12-10-2006, 04:09 AM
Guitylerham
2nd Gear Member

I only have about $5000 cash, the rest I"d have to finance. It just wasn't my dream car but hey, I'm young, maybe i don't need my dream car right now. Maybe just a nice one will do for the time being. I really want a light blue '66 289 coupe.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:38 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

If in fact it was a 6 cyl car and the swap was done correctly, ie: 5 lug and suspension, it is a good price for all that he listed. If you bought a 65 and paid $5,000 for it. By the time you spent all the time and money doing what he did you'd be into it a lot more than $8500. He stated not to make any offers until you have seen the car. Offer him $7500 and just finance the 2500. What would that be per month, about $100? As far as you wanting a blue 66. The 65 and 66 are almost identical. The color you can live with. Red is more eye catching any way, just ask the sheriff[8D]
Old 12-10-2006, 04:53 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

If the paint job was done well, it looks to be pretty well priced. Throw in a disc brake conversion and you're good to go. [sm=smiley16.gif]
Old 12-10-2006, 04:55 AM
Halz5
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gothand

If the paint job was done well, it looks to be pretty well priced. Throw in a disc brake conversion and you're good to go. [sm=smiley16.gif]

drums stop a car just fine
Old 12-10-2006, 04:59 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Halz5

... when they are properly adjusted which never seems to be the case. Those star adjusters don't always work so great. I swapped to discs on the rear of my Jeep because I got tired of having to adjust them to keep them working alright. One added benefit of discs is that they are so much easier to change.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:04 AM
Halz5
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Halz5

... when they are properly adjusted which never seems to be the case. Those star adjusters don't always work so great. I swapped to discs on the rear of my Jeep because I got tired of having to adjust them to keep them working alright. One added benefit of discs is that they are so much easier to change.

2 of my 3 cars have 4 wheel drums so i am more used to drums than discs. I just dont see the conversion kit cost being worth the benefit, i would think simply switching from manual to power brakes would be cheaper and be a greater benefit.

My 2 ton chevy with all drums can stop on a dime.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:23 AM
Guitylerham
2nd Gear Member

I would like to know if the spindles and suspension were in fact upgraded as well. He said he bought the car for his daughter to drive but she prefered their honda instead. So that would mean he had decent trust in the integrity of the car to let his daughter drive it. He had several engine blocks in various stages of assembly in his garage as well as two other older trucks so he was a mechincally minded person at least. The trunk didn't sit perfectly flush, nor did the but he said that it was a used hood. He said he used a cheapo hat cowl repair on the driver side but the cowl still leaks just a little. The risk I'm taking is that this woudl be my daily driver. I am 21 the logical route would be to keep my subaru instead. But I want to live life and make my own mistakes! I hope that makes sense to people. Maybe I will get my dad to go look at it with me again. Thanks for your advice so far. I'm reconsidering this deal.

Quick Reply: My first time.