Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Great News!

Old 12-12-2006, 11:09 PM
secondmustanger

Default Great News!

Received some great news today! I took my 66 coupe to another mechanic for a second opinion and to have a crate engine put in it since the other guy didn't do engine swaps ans wasn't ASE certified as this new guy is. I've been goinig back and forth over rebuild vs crate fopr some time now. I spoke with him this afternoon and he told me he didn't think there was anything wrong with my old 289! he did say the carb was shot as well as the fuel pump which he said could have caused my loss of power and drop in oil pressure. He said the engine was nice and tight and that he didn't hear anything that would indicated a back main bearing going out. Said compression was very good and that I should get alot more miles out of it before it needs to be pulled. However, he said I would need to run premium in it from now on that regular unleaded is causing it to knock. So now I'll have some money for other pony items like new door panels.

Wooooooooo hooooooooooo
Old 12-12-2006, 11:17 PM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Great News!

ORIGINAL: secondmustanger

Received some great news today! I took my 66 coupe to another mechanic for a second opinion and to have a crate engine put in it since the other guy didn't do engine swaps ans wasn't ASE certified as this new guy is. I've been goinig back and forth over rebuild vs crate fopr some time now. I spoke with him this afternoon and he told me he didn't think there was anything wrong with my old 289! he did say the carb was shot as well as the fuel pump which he said could have caused my loss of power and drop in oil pressure. He said the engine was nice and tight and that he didn't hear anything that would indicated a back main bearing going out. Said compression was very good and that I should get alot more miles out of it before it needs to be pulled. However, he said I would need to run premium in it from now on that regular unleaded is causing it to knock. So now I'll have some money for other pony items like new door panels.

Wooooooooo hooooooooooo

I've read it a couple times now. Am I right when I see that the ASE mechanic said the Carb and fuel pump being shot had a relation to drop in oil pressure? Drop in power, sure. Oil pressure? The only relation to oil pressure that a carb and fuel pump would have would be in a very low idle ( maybe below 400 rpms to which, the car would be barely running ).

I'm no rocket scientist, but, either you misunderstood him or he needs to go back and retake his certification. Unless i'm just way more tired than I am or not understanding.

[sm=youreright.gif]
Old 12-12-2006, 11:29 PM
secondmustanger

"Drop in power, sure. Oil pressure? The only relation to oil pressure that a carb and fuel pump would have would be in a very low idle ( maybe below 400 rpms to which, the car would be barely running ). "

Well that's sort of what happened when going up a hill at 55 on interstate she started bogging down really bad jumping and sputtering then I looked at guages no tach but the OP was dropping from mid range to just a little above low and I was barely able to limp onto the shoulder of the road. Was ok as long as I stayed under 40 but at high speed bogged down and OP hovered around low.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:33 PM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

I'd get a good mechanical guage and check the oil pressure. From what you have described points to nothing good. Carb and fuel pump have nothing to do with oil pressure, nothing. I'm kinda baffled at why the mechanic didn't check it. I mean, how can he even begin to diagnose without it? Surely he didn't rely on the stock idiot guage.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:46 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

What gear you in here? If it's an auto, it isn't downshifting which is either bad linkage or bad tranny. If it's a stick, downshift. You may think about getting a tach if you have a manual. Oil pressure ratings for engines are based on rpm.

The only way a carb/fuel pump can affect oil pressure is if you're putting a lot of fuel in your crankcase and thinning the oil out. If so, you need a new engine.
ORIGINAL: secondmustanger

"Drop in power, sure. Oil pressure? The only relation to oil pressure that a carb and fuel pump would have would be in a very low idle ( maybe below 400 rpms to which, the car would be barely running ). "

Well that's sort of what happened when going up a hill at 55 on interstate she started bogging down really bad jumping and sputtering then I looked at guages no tach but the OP was dropping from mid range to just a little above low and I was barely able to limp onto the shoulder of the road. Was ok as long as I stayed under 40 but at high speed bogged down and OP hovered around low.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:51 AM
ford65stang
2nd Gear Member

Well i did some research on google

well fuel in the oil can cause low oil prussure.......which could mean that you have bad piston rings...which the fuel can enter the oil causing low oil prussure......However before this could happen...the car would have poor performance.....

im thinking if you want to try to see if its the engine is bad or not is to Rebuild the carb and put thicker oil in.....then see if oil prussure is good.....it could be good for awhile until the gas gets back into the oil.....so i guess before you do that..you can drain the oil and see if it smells like fuel.....maybe you might be able to see it.

But the likly hood of your carb and fuel pump both being bad....at the same time....IMO it is unlikly....but once again even if they are both shot......it does not explain the oil prussure....

Edit: I just wanted to add.....im not no engine guy ..... [&o] i wish i was......maybe one day
Old 12-13-2006, 10:22 AM
secondmustanger

Interesting information thanks guys. By the way it's a cruis o matic and I can't remember if it was in the green dot or if I had it in the dot above the green one first below neutral. I may very well have had the tranny in this spot which would explain some loss of power I would guess. The OP like you say maybe the old guage isn't working properly wouldn't put it out of the relm of possibilities. I'll ask the new guy to check it with an external guage to be sure. The guy said he checked the compression once he got the new carb on and the engine running long enough to check it and said it was OK on all cylinders. He said the fuel pump was "weak" I used shot since he said he had to replace it so he could toubleshoot the problem further. He did say that these parts would need to be replaced if an engine was needed anyway but when I asked if he thought I needed a new engine that is when he said he didn't think so. He did say that once he gets the fuel pump on and checks it out more he would know better but he really thought there was life left in this one. Guess I was just excited to get some good news about the pony after the other guy just listened to it (didn't pull the dip stick or check anything) and said "yep, ya need an engine and ahhh we don't do dat kinda work hare."