Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

uh ohh...HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 12:08 AM
connor90
4th Gear Member

Default uh ohh...HELP!!!

ok i need some help, i got my mustang yesterday and i parked it overnight and today i found that it is leaking oil pretty good. i have about 3 spots that are all about 3 in in diameter. it is leaking from where the engine and tranny hook together. what i need to know is what is causing it to leak, how serious is it, and how hard would it be to fix. and one other thing, its just primer right now and i was told toat i need to get paint on it because primer is a little porus and i will start to see rust in a couple of years. is this true?
thank you
Old 12-14-2006, 12:15 AM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: uh ohh...HELP!!!

sounds like your rear main seal since its oil....otherwise if it was comin from (im guessing u have an auto) the torque converter. its not a fun fix to do on your own and a shop is gonna kill you around $1,000. depending on how bad the leak is their are a couple additives u can add that will swell the seal and slow/stop the leak along with using a thicker motor oil.

forgot....age is what caused it most likey and ya its serious if its leaking a lot and u dont feel like sitting in your local auto parts store in the morning waiting for it to open to get a quart of oil every morning before u go to work. i work at a schucks and a guy has been doing that for the last month, ive been telling him to get a new car or a new engine
Old 12-14-2006, 12:15 AM
ford65stang
2nd Gear Member

well i dont think you need to paint it.....i dont know if its porus or not.....but back in the 40s and 50s people would only gave primer on there cars with no problem

so i think you are fine......but just watch as everyone esle proves me wrong
Old 12-14-2006, 12:19 AM
connor90
4th Gear Member

well i have a mechanic who works on cars for us for a very reasonable price i could take it to him but he doesnt believe in old cars. i could ask if he would show me and help me with it. i assume this would probably involve pulling the engine, am i right? oh and the leak isnt too bad yet, there were about 3 spots each about 3in in diameter. the thing is is that the guy who i bought it from said it didnt leak and all of the seals were replaced, i hate it when people lie to me like that.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:20 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

yes primers will absorb water u can scuff it up and seal it with an epoxy primer

for the oil leak its the rear main seal gotta pull the tranny oil pan, rear most main bearing cap to get the seal out pick up a shop manual read up and decide if ur up to the task
Old 12-14-2006, 12:22 AM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

no need to pull the tranny for it but if you wanna do it u should know a quite a bit about cars and be up for a long project, least 3 days
Old 12-14-2006, 12:23 AM
ford65stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rmodel65

yes primer is will absorb water u can scuff it up and seal it with an epoxy primer
ahh see i knew someone would prove me wrong.....but i remember stories when they used old motor oil on the primer...to give it back the black shine.....so maybe thats why they didnt get rust areas [>:] i dont know....

but of course today's primer is not the same back then.....
Old 12-14-2006, 12:23 AM
connor90
4th Gear Member

i would assume there is a section about that in the haynes manual, i have one so ill check on that.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:26 AM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

3 spots of 3" dia. is a little more than a "leak" I'd say. How often do you check the oil? with that kind of hemorige I'd guess that you're low every other day. Also, just because the drop point of the oil appears to be at the mating point between tranny and block does not mean that's where it is coming from. That's just the lowest point for it to drip. It could be coming from up higher and making its way down. Although unlikely, it's still possible. I'd make sure that's not the case.

Old 12-14-2006, 12:27 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Rear main. you need to drop the pan, pull the trans, remove the flywheel, pull the rear main cap, loosen the other mains so the rear of the crank can drop a fraction, then you can feed the new seal in the top and put a new one in the cap. Put everything back together and be sure to torque the mains correctly. or take it to a shop and have them fix it. Alternatively you could just rebuild the engine, or another one to install later. Put a pan under it in the meantime, just go buy a large cookie sheet and use that. it cleans up easy and keeps the mess off the driveway/garage floor.

Depends on the primer. Epoxy primer is okay, etch is okay, high fill needs to have something over it since it will retain water. You arent supposed to wetsand high fill either.

If you are adventurous go to the store and pick up about ten cans of your favorite color in a rattle can. Yellow and satin black work nice, blues can be okay but red is a definite no. If you are carefull you can paint your car for about $25-$30 and it will last a while untill you can get something done permanent to it. I like Yellow because it doesnt fade and weather off as fast as black and blue do. best part is if you get a run in it, just keep running it to the bottom of the panel. lol. its gonna looks like crap up close anyway... but froma distance it looks okay.. sorta