Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

uh ohh...HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 12:30 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default RE: uh ohh...HELP!!!

single stage paints are also cheap u can get a nice urthane single stage from nason(dupont) with the hardner+ reducer for about 80$ it will be sealed

but acid etch is porous also
Old 12-14-2006, 12:36 AM
connor90
4th Gear Member

i guess i need to decide weather to pay someone to fix it or just get rid of it. i only paid 2500 for it so i guess you get what you pay for. it sounds like its a little bit above my skill level.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:41 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Conner, if you want to fix the problem for good, just get a local mechanic to replace that rear seal. If you want to live with it for awhile, use a bottle of Lucas oil stabalizer each oil change. It adds a good viscosity to your oil, which will stick better in worn parts, or in your case, leaks. TONS! of cars have the same problem. I see cars all day that has under 30k and will already be leaking. Oil spreads out really far, so unless u see some big puddles or it gets worst, Id consider living with it.

As for the primer, it is water retentive and should be sealed. Primer will promote rusting, specially if you drive around that. Perhaps get a dehumidifier if your car is stored inside...
Old 12-14-2006, 12:47 AM
connor90
4th Gear Member

ok thats what i thought, i really havnt noticed a drop in the oil level but then again ive only had the car for about a day, i think im going to take it to someone tomorrow and see how much is really wrong with it before i start putting a bunch of money into it.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:52 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Is this car garage kept or driveway kept?
Old 12-14-2006, 12:57 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bulldog66

Also, just because the drop point of the oil appears to be at the mating point between tranny and block does not mean that's where it is coming from. That's just the lowest point for it to drip. It could be coming from up higher and making its way down. Although unlikely, it's still possible. I'd make sure that's not the case.

Bulldog's is right on the money
my leaking "rear main" turned out to be a weeping rear main and a leaking rocker cover gasket right at the back. Make sure of where it's coming from first.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:01 AM
connor90
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: baddog671

Is this car garage kept or driveway kept?
its street kept...as soon as i figure out if im going to keep it its going to get shot with some paint
Old 12-14-2006, 01:32 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Eh keep it... you got a decent deal on it even if its kinda rusty underneath and has some mechanical issues. They are great cars to learn on, you really cant screw up very much to the point it cant be fixed, just bigger ones cost more is all.

Half the fun of owning one is working on it to make it better, faster, safer, and more fun! If you want something you dont have to mess with and you dont want to learn how it works and how to fix it, go buy a honda and take it to a shop when it breaks. dont be afraid to fix things yourself, it takes a while to get started and learn the ropes, but once you do its easy. You wont find a car that is easier to fix than an early Ford. Mustangs and similiar cars are brain dead simple, nothing complicated about them. There is nothing on it beyond your grasp with some study and hands on experience.

The trick is, dont let it get worse than it already is. Keep it improving rather than letting it fall apart, rust into the earth and decay like so many people do with cars these days... its worth saving! instead of thinking in terms of improving one thing 100% do 100 things 1%, a little here goes a long way later. like keeping it clean..

Most importantly HAVE FUN WITH IT! Its a car! and a Mustang at that!
Old 12-14-2006, 02:00 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

I've had bad intake gaskets look like bad rear main seals (made the same assessment, so I pulled the engine to 'fix' the whole thing...then found the rear main was good and the rear intake seal was missing[:@]).

Best thing is to clean the engine and see where the oil shows up. Start looking at the top, then work your way down.

Get some paint on that primer. Even farm implement paint is better than nothing.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:15 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

ok i was able to take a closer look at it today and it looks like the oil may be coming out from up by the breather cap. the one there is a closed system cap when it should have an open system cap...could that be the case??