Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Brake Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 06:40 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Brake Question

yeah, but I think the only thing they can get you for is trespass cause it's on private property or something, but I'm no lawyer
Old 12-14-2006, 07:34 PM
crunchyskippy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grruminator78

yeah, but I think the only thing they can get you for is trespass cause it's on private property or something, but I'm no lawyer
I'd be careful. I know for a fact that many malls have a police substation on the premises. On top of that, almost every mall management usually has a operating agreement with the police force that allows them to enforce any laws of the jurisdiction where the mall is located.

"Let's be careful out there!"
Old 12-14-2006, 07:47 PM
mustang141

If your gona bleed the brakes yourself the only way to do it is of course start at the farthest corner from the brake resevoir. You need a piece of hose that will fit TIGHT over the bleed screw and long enough to go into the brake fluid container and stay in the fluid when you pump the air out of the lines. Loosen your bleed screw and Pump your brake pedal several times to force the air out. Before you start pumping your brakes make sure your resevoir is full on both sides. After you have pumped the brakes several times re-tighten your bleed screw and continue to the next wheel. You need to do this process for each wheel finishing with the wheel closest to your resevoir. Its always easier to use two people for this cuz the second person can see when theres no more air coming out of the lines but one person can make it work too. The guys are right though, the less meat you have on your pads and shoes the more you will have push down your pedal. Good luck
Old 12-14-2006, 11:47 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

First, The cops could get you for reckless driving. Just cause you are in a parking lot don't change the rules of the road. It's a reckless action.

Second, Like I said, One of those "One Man Bleeders" and a friend will work or just a simple tube over the nipple and an empty coke bottle. Bleed them out. If your fluid is a dark color, I would reccommend you change it by filling the reservoir with new and pumping each line till it comes out clear-ish. Just make sure to stay on top of the reservoir as not to let it get too low and allow air into the system again. Bleed each out till there are a few solid pumps with no bubbles and than tighten and go to the next one. From what I understand, the "top" of the pedal is where your REAR pads start to catch, than the fronts kick in. I may be wrong, so feel free to correct me.

EDITED FOR SPELLING
Old 12-15-2006, 01:50 AM
morg68stang
1st Gear Member

Folks, I'm pretty sure we were joking about the parking lot thing. I know I was. I'm not that reckless.

Anyway, put new brake shoes on tonight and adjusted the rears (probably needs more, but it was getting late). I can't really say I've got much better pedal, but at least the rears have a bit of bite. The ones I took off didn't seem too bad, but a slick feel on the surface of the shoe is bad, right?

New rotors are on the way. Hopefully, I can get them on next week along with new pads. We'll see how things go from there.

Thanks for all the advice!

Morg68stang
Old 12-15-2006, 11:19 AM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

yes IT WAS A JOKE!.... I should start adding a disclamer on the bottom of my posts. something like I just say stuff that is crazy and would only do if nobody was REALLY watching so please do not try this at home.

And are you breaking the law if you don't get caught???? there I go again... that too was just a joke

ahhh my sense of jocularity amuses nobody but myself.....
Old 12-15-2006, 11:34 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

When a tree falls down in the forest, does it make a sound if nobody is there to hear it? I taught my nephew to drive his stick shift in the parking lot at the school. I would have considered that reckless driving.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:56 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

[sm=funnypostabove.gif][sm=gears.gif]
Old 12-15-2006, 07:24 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

When a tree falls down in the forest, does it make a sound if nobody is there to hear it? I taught my nephew to drive his stick shift in the parking lot at the school. I would have considered that reckless driving.
Yes, it does.

mechanical vibrations transmitted through an elastic medium, traveling in air at a speed of approximately 1087 ft. (331 m) per second at sea level.