Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

amazing stuff

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 01:02 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: amazing stuff

All carbs are dangerous...they all have needles/seats that will leak and flood gas all over the engine if a small speck of dirt gets in the way.

But, that gets into the whole maintenance thing. Carbs need it. The needles wear and the seats go with them. If your float sticks, you need maintenance yesterday.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:59 AM
Lumbergh
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: amazing stuff

ORIGINAL: my77stang

i still disagree on the size even though mathmatically the numbers are low, look at some of the carbs ford used back in the day on small blocks.... hell wasnt shelby using 780's on some of em?

remember, unless every time you push on the gas pedal you are going WOT, or have a mechanical secondary double pumper - your only driving on the front two barrels and MAYBE when crusing the secondaries are slightly opened

if your gonna go small, http://www.holley.com/0-4412C.asp FTW
When you want to go fast what do you do? You floor it, opening up the secondaries on a four barrel carb. If the carb is too big for the engine, you won't have an optimal mixture of air and fuel in the cylinders and, therefore, will not get the most power that you can when you want it, at WOT. Yo can use a larger carb on a 289 than 450 to 500 cfm, but you need to install a more agressive cam to go with it to handle the increased flow. At least that's how I understand it, but I don't claim to be an expert.