Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Radio Dash Repair - Pix

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 03:49 AM
Timelockmind
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Radio Dash Repair - Pix

Smothers:

What you say makes a lot of sense. I love the charm of a little AM radio... but long to play my favorite soul groups of the 60's as I blast down back roads. As Soaring said, the right ride with the right tunes can make the world a perfect place.

Anyway, thedeciding factor will be how much I'm over budget (which long ago, has gone out the window).

The sub my shop uses is a self-powered JBL. It tucks in perfectly deep inside the driver's side wallof the trunk. If I were to go this route, it is the best looking option I've seen. The amplifier is tucked into the other side wall of the truck, hidden by the spare. The two door speakers are not really noticable because they use original factory grills. Having said that, I am still leaningtoward the original radio with the single sepaker.Unfortunately, my favorite optinon - an original AM/FM radio - is out of the question because they run over $2,000!

I glad you're enjoying my transformation- it's been great fun.I love my daily visits to the shop and then positng the progress on this site.Theengine will be compeltedin the next day or so... pixs to follow. I'm not sure how to record and download a sound bite. If I can figure it out I'll be happy to post.

The interior of my car will match the care taken with the engine bay. The biggest alterationwill be the addition of
3-point belts and Racaro seats. I'm very curious as to the reaction I get.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:57 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

i saw this in the magazine not too long ago

remove old radio and bezel, place in nice box

put in new bezel and new radio

http://www.mustangsplus.com/Merchant...uct_Code=09096

EDIT: HO-LY **** i just say the price, $350, **** that noise, freaking insane, maybe i can find a old used dash piece to cut up

EDIT AGAIN: WTF? the stock kind of one is $22.95 but the other is $350, uhm? typo? ****ing insane, i am mad now
Old 02-01-2007, 04:38 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Timelockmind

As I await a fuel line hose for the completion of the supercharged engine, my guys have started the interior restoration.
Which shop is doing your work? I'm going to be needing some paint in a few months and I'd like to find a reasonably priced shop in the L.A. area (good luck) that has some experience with early Mustangs.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 02-01-2007, 10:57 PM
Mustang Dad
2nd Gear Member

Friday nights.....crusing.......Beach Boys on the radio.....damn those were the days. Soarings probally the only one that really remembers them like I do.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:08 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I had a nice sony deck in mine for a while with the, ugh, speaker holes cut into the trap door. Sounded decent but looked like ***. I bought a nice original trap door and a correct 1967 AM radio, which by the way is THE BEST AM radio I have. TheMark VIII nor the Expedition's AM radios have anywhere near the sound/signal quality of my single speaker, mast antennaed1967 unit.

+1 on the AM programming. Anymore I listen to talk radio most of the time anyhow. Once in a whilewe can pick up a classic country station that comes out of Ocala.
Ohyeah, we get the Disney radio channel too. That really tickles my daughters. Cruising in the Fastback, looking cool and listening to the Cheetah girls. Life is grand! [sm=shades.gif]
Old 02-02-2007, 02:37 AM
Timelockmind
3rd Gear Member

Here is the sequence of the radio repair thus far.

Iam truly amazed that once it is painted no one could ever tell the dash had been butchered.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:42 AM
Timelockmind
3rd Gear Member

Once again...
Old 02-02-2007, 02:45 AM
Timelockmind
3rd Gear Member

Thrid time is the charm!
Old 02-02-2007, 02:47 AM
Timelockmind