Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

cougar

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: cougar

ORIGINAL: 1965MustangFastback

Man, that's a purdy car. Looks like British racing green.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:04 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Way back in the mid 70's, I bought a '67 Cougar to drive to the university to work on my Master's degree. That car was pretty much plain Jane with a 289 and a 3 speed manual. I think, if I remember correctly, is that it had power steering. That was about the only difference between the 67 Mustang without power steering and the Cat that I owned. So, to say it was a rich man's car is just lame. You could add any options on a 67 Mustang that you could get on a 67 Cat.
Exacto mundo.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1965MustangFastback

I never said the Cougar was ugly, I just like the look of the stang better, but that one sure is a beauty.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:26 PM
colostang
2nd Gear Member

Ford motors marketed the Cougar (as it has typically done with all it's Mercuries (Mercurys?)) as a car with more options and a higher price tag than it's cars stamped with a FORD emblem. I don't know that either was better, but Fomoco intended the image of the cat to be more prestigious and luxurious than the Mustang. In turn Lincolns were "better" than ither. I really haven't seen anyone say that Cougars are superior to our Stangs, just that they were presented as such to sell them.

I guess I am lucky because I really do appreciate the beauty in all these cars.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:32 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i had an 89 cougar with a 3.8 if that counts for anything LOL. i actually liked that car other than the lack of power.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:55 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I gotta differ with the majority here. I REALLY like the 1st gen cougar look. Are you kidding me?? Hideaway headlights ? Leather seats? Choice of V8's?Bitchin'trim and performance packages?Almost every option availablefrom both Mercury and Fords vast inventories? Whats not to love?
If I ran across a Cougar convertible that was comparable in condition and value, to my fastback, I would seriously consider that trade. Yes siree.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:23 AM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fastbackford351

I gotta differ with the majority here. I REALLY like the 1st gen cougar look. Are you kidding me?? Hideaway headlights ? Leather seats? Choice of V8's? Bitchin' trim and performance packages? Almost every option available from both Mercury and Fords vast inventories? Whats not to love?
The front, it looks like a bloody giant moustache.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:43 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

man, i didnt mean north michigan was ritzy, im just saying, michigan is NOT a cheap place to live, i know, i have lived there most of my life

and i didnt mean the mustang was for peasants and the cougar for kings, i was saying the average joe could go and pick up a mustang from a deal for a very nice price, whereas the cougar was aimed as a more luxury car with an options list for a slightly hgher price tag.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:54 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shifty101Easy

ORIGINAL: atomsk680

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455

I am not that rich.. far from it.
Psssshhh...... what ever my friend! 1. you live in north michigan 2. you have more cars then Jay Leno
is north michigan a "nice" place to live? (when i say nice i dont really mean nice but i mean like...ritzy?)

Man Decurion got the answer pretty damn right.. They are great people up here, but think of the types in the movie FARGO.. add to that few have seen a razor, flannel is considered formal wear, and deer season is a school holiday. You wont find people in the USA who are more friendly and willing to help out than you will here, well maybe Montana or some other remote stretch. Its not cheap to live here, nor expensive. Some things are more expensive since the gas companies think its California here and they keep our prices in line with California, even though we dont even have a million people living in the entire U.P. Housing is relatively cheap to rent, but buying is still expensive, but thats changing. Lake frontage is stupid expensive, over $1000 per foot, thanks to the people in Chicago, Indy, etc.

So who do you think would come out on top in a straight up trade, me or Jay Leno? Sure I may have more than he does, but I dont have a single one that is as valuable as his least valuable one. Only two of my Pontiacs even come close to his cars. Not rich, not wealthy, dont have huge sums of cash at my disposal. I just work hard to get what I want and I do without the frivolous stuff like drinking, smoking, watching television, eating fast food, and spending money on things I dont need. Instead I apply everything I have available to me in the way of funds, knowledge, and skills to build the cars I have collected while they were beaters, junk yard escapees, dime a dozen, and less than nice daily drivers. 25 years of buying beaters and not selling them has led me to the point where some are getting valuable, but they are still beaters...

Look up what a disabled veteran makes with 100% disability.. that is all I have to live on, and build my cars with..far from wealthy, I just dont work a normal job anymore.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:31 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455

So who do you think would come out on top in a straight up trade, me or Jay Leno? Sure I may have more than he does, but I dont have a single one that is as valuable as his least valuable one. Only two of my Pontiacs even come close to his cars. Not rich, not wealthy, dont have huge sums of cash at my disposal. I just work hard to get what I want and I do without the frivolous stuff like drinking, smoking, watching television, eating fast food, and spending money on things I dont need. Instead I apply everything I have available to me in the way of funds, knowledge, and skills to build the cars I have collected while they were beaters, junk yard escapees, dime a dozen, and less than nice daily drivers. 25 years of buying beaters and not selling them has led me to the point where some are getting valuable, but they are still beaters...

Look up what a disabled veteran makes with 100% disability.. that is all I have to live on, and build my cars with..far from wealthy, I just dont work a normal job anymore.
do you not eat fast food cause theres not anything up there?[8D] jk