Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Paint question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 01:33 PM
mstngbon

Default Paint question

I have a 68 coupe that was originally Gulfstream Aqua and was covered up by what appears to be a cheap white MAACO(no offense) paint job. Thankfully the car has no rust and appears all solid original metal. I'm trying to determine if it might have had a Gulfstream Aqua repaint prior to the white. In the trunk area, just behind the seat, under some layer of protective material is some beautiful shiny Gulfstream Aqua paint, but I was wondering if that was original and should be there or is it only there because of a repaint? Did they originally use same color paint in the trunk area or was it a splatter paint that was used? I'm thinking of trying to just razor off the white coat if below it is the original paint. Any thoughts? Thanks.

MustangBonnie
68 Coupe
72 MGB
Old 10-27-2004, 09:31 PM
Frank_Bullitt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Paint question

From what you have told me it sounds like it has been painted. The hole body of the car would be same color to my understanding. (maybe undercarige would be defernt) any other questions or thoughts on this mater I would be more then happy to help you as much as I can.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:53 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

your not gonna be able to sand down to the original color and just be done with it, you'll at least have to lay down another coat or two of more paint no matter how you do it.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:53 PM
mstngbon

I realize I won't be done with just the razoring but the cheap paint on top now is peeling easy so I figure it's worth a shot. A lot cheaper than having it bead blasted, a lot less smelly than paint stripper and if it is the original paint it should be a good base to work from. My one concern is if the layer beneath is not the original but a repaint on top of the original color as well, that's why I ask if normally the trunk would have been painted at all with the Gulfstream Aqua. If the trunk wouldn't have had the Gulfstream Aqua paint inside then I pretty much can figure it did have a Gulfstream Aqua repaint prior to the cheap white paint.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:56 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Look in places like behind door panels, carpeting, under the hoodetc. sounds like you found the factory paint color though... normally - unless its a HIGH dollar paint job then the engine bay won't be painted, the underside of the trunk & hood, behind door panels etc.