Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Very High Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 10:47 PM
350kmileFord
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Very High Oil Pressure

I was told by an extremely knowegeable person that unnecessarily high oil pressure for an extended period of time can actually mess up the main bearings/reduce their life.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:12 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: my77stang

for the record.... a high pressure oil pump is better than a high volume oil pump. high volume pumps can put too much oil in the top and starve the bottom - not a good thing

also, royal purple has moly crap in it, and their oil doesnt meet the latest oil standards. i spent hours researching the techincal info on various synthetics and posted it in the 05+ section. after looking over all the hard data obtained from each oil companies website i found that redline appeared to be the best, followed by mobil 1. I use pennzoil just because i always have, but it really seems redline is best. also, after seeing all the oil filter reviews and pics of their internals i will be using motorcraft filters from now on, or at least purolators.

just food for thought but if anyone wants to see that oil comparison i'll dig it up and post it in here
Yeah, I have also read all those studies. I used Redline for about two years in my 03 Mach but decided to just use Mobil 1 oil and Motorcraft filters in my 03 Mach. I still run 10-40 dino in my 65 though.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:24 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

yup i run pennz dino in my II and pennz full syn in my 06. i have been using the k&n filters but i think im going over to motorcraft
Old 02-23-2007, 11:31 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

It's tough to beat the Motorcraft parts. The way I figure, FOMOCO spent a helluva lotta money designing their filter and oiling system. Go factory and you won't go wrong.

Most of the time.

Stang77, Please post that link. I would like to take a look at it.

I would appreciate it.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:28 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

no problem...

Old 02-24-2007, 02:30 AM
LCC
4th Gear Member

Ford FL1A filters all ways. You never want a filter with a pressure release valve in them because if you ever leave the filter in too long the valves will open and dump all the crap in to the engine. Regular oil changes....
Old 02-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: LCC

Ford FL1A filters all ways. You never want a filter with a pressure release valve in them because if you ever leave the filter in too long the valves will open and dump all the crap in to the engine. Regular oil changes....
Further explanation about the pressure release valve please. How can it open if there is no pressure on it?
Old 02-24-2007, 09:36 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

soaring what does that valve really do dump the oil in the filter back in if your low or what
Old 02-24-2007, 10:36 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i thought they were supposed to bypass the filter if the pressure was too high (like if the filter was clogged)

anyone who doesnt change their oil regularly in a classic stang deserves a blown up motor IMO
Old 02-24-2007, 12:22 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

Pressure release valve does exactly that, if the filter starts to get plugged it opens. You will notice the pressure high and do something about it instead of just running it and wiping out the bearings...

Quick Reply: Very High Oil Pressure