Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Tires to handle a Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 01:56 AM
Timelockmind
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Tires to handle a Supercharger

Based on my research here's what I have found...

If I want to stay with the dual redlines and original style steel wheels I am stuck witht the 14x5. They make 14x6 and 14x7 wheels with dual redlines BUT the style steel wheels are not the same as the originals. They do not have the trim ring.

If I move up to 15 inch wheels (a non trim ring wheel option, as well) I can only get single red line tires.

I know it sounds silly but I really like having the original style wheels and dual red lines. To go wider or bigger I musteither give up the original style wheels or go to single red line tires.

Or I can go to a different look (like troq thrust)... or I can simplystay wih narrow tires and spin the hell out of them.

What would you do?

Old 02-27-2007, 04:41 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

You prefer the trim rings? Putting originality aside for a second, I prefer the '65 style with the solid wheel. By the very fact that all the non-original sizes are only available in '65 style, I think they are probably preferred by most. Anyway, that is neither here nor there if you want yours to be original looking. That said, it is a bit odd that you wouldn't want to go with the '65 styled steel wheel but are open to the idea of the Torq Thrust.

I'd still run what you have and see what it does. If that doesn't work, I'd either see how wide a tire you can fit on your wheels or step up to the 15x7's. While the redlines are nice, the styled steel wheels are what catches my eye as a car drives by. The red stripes on your tires are a nice thing that I usually just equate with show cars.

Don't you hate making these decisions?
Old 02-27-2007, 04:56 AM
Timelockmind
3rd Gear Member

Gothand:

I did not realize that the '65 style steel wheels were soild. Was the trim ring for the style steel wheels only a 1966 incarnation?

I was torn over the next size up if my little 14x5 aren't doing it for me. Moving up to a 15x7 (with a single red line) instaed of a 14x7, makes a lot of sense . At leasti canjustify the expensewith a much meatier tire.

Is clearance orany other fitting an issue if I move up to the 15x7? Do you think moving in this direction a) looks better b) looks the same or
c) doesn't reallymake much difference in comparison to my present set of wheels?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Old 02-27-2007, 05:42 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

I'm pretty sure that the 1967 styled steel wheels also use a trim ring and have a different center cap.

I like the 15x7 because it give a lot more performance tire options without looking any different than the original 14x5. To me, a 17" wheel, especially the styled steel wheel, looks odd and out of place in the 65/66 wheel well.

I had no clearance issues with the 15x7, and in fact, switched to these wheels because I could not get the Torq Thrusts to fit up front. I have the Global West suspension which also utilizes the Shelby drop so I needed a wheel with more backspace (4.5") than the Torq Thrust (3.75").

I haven't seen them side by side, but the 15x7 looks the same to me as the 14x5 that my brother has on his vert.

I got my wheels, center caps & lug nutsoff Ebay from Mustangs Unlimited for I believe $624 delivered. I can't remember the brand name off hand, but they are made in Portland, OR. For a spare, I picked up a 14x5 Scott Drake reproduction (sticking with the stock sized tire for the trunk) and it seems to be of comparable quality. If anything, perhaps the argent paint is just a tad more durable looking, though that may be my imagination.

If you're ever in the San Pedro drop in and take a look.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:05 PM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

Yes the Trim rings began in 1966. The 65' & 66' the rims were 14"x5" and then in 67' they went to
14"x 51/2" wide.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:23 PM
Timelockmind
3rd Gear Member

Just got back from my shop where I was able to view almost all the tire and style steel wheel variations.

My thoughts:

There is a very pronounced difference betweentthe original wheels and the non-OEM editions of the style steel wheels.The style steel wheels thatgo above 15" do not look right to my eyes. The most important issue is that the original 14x5 were PAINTED. The new versions of the style steel wheels are chrome - and to me - do not look as vintage.

Also, losing the dual red tires is abig deal for my color combination (black with red stripes). The single red lines on the 15 inch tiresdo not look as sharp - to my eyes.

The bottom line after all this research is that Iwill be staying with my original wheels and tires (for now) unless they proved to be a significant hinderance to my driving pleasure. Keep in mind that I have not drivien my carsince the supercharger addition. If they spin like crazy I will have no choice but to consider other options - probably the 15x7 witht he single red line tires.

Thnaks for all you input!
Old 02-28-2007, 04:32 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Timelockmind

Just got back from my shop where I was able to view almost all the tire and style steel wheel variations.

My thoughts:

There is a very pronounced difference betweentthe original wheels and the non-OEM editions of the style steel wheels.The style steel wheels thatgo above 15" do not look right to my eyes. The most important issue is that the original 14x5 were PAINTED. The new versions of the style steel wheels are chrome - and to me - do not look as vintage.
Painted? I can't remember the '66 wheel exactly, but I'm pretty sure that the reproduction wheels look just like the original '65 wheels, chrome with paint between the 'spokes'. IIRC, the '66 wheel is black under the trim ring which doesn't show, but the face is chromed with paint over the spokes.