Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 10:55 AM
burnettt
2nd Gear Member

Default brake problems

bought a rear drum brake rebuild kit, it has all the hardware. For some reason it will not stay adjusted. After jacking it up, spining the adjuster till the shoes barely scuff the drum while rotating the tire i'll take it for a drive. Within 10-15 miles it will be so loose that the adjuster star with the two prongs that sits between the bottom of the shoes will completely fall out of place and not even be between the shoes. There's only 3 springs, 2 longer ones on top, and the shorter one on bottom so i know it's the right spring. thanks
Old 02-27-2007, 02:59 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Default RE: brake problems

Sounds to me like the little 'tang' isn't properly engaging the star adjuster wheel (don't know if I used the correct terms but you get the idea). Anyway, is there any way you can post a pic?
Old 02-27-2007, 06:27 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Yea, sounds like the adjuster arm thingy isnt mesching up with the star nut.. Make sure that it sits up against the star properly,, To adjust the brakes you should be pulling that thing out in order to turn the star, if the is no tension you may need to start replacing things.. I think its called the auto adjuster arm.. I noticed that the brake kits dont come with the auto adjuster parts,, you will probably want to get that.. its 10.99 from Dallas mustang,, and probably the same from the local parts store..
Old 02-27-2007, 06:55 PM
burnettt
2nd Gear Member

with the tire off and everything in place it works fine. I'll take a pic in a little while so yall can tell me if anything is out of place. Thanks
ORIGINAL: boogerschnot

Yea, sounds like the adjuster arm thingy isnt mesching up with the star nut.. Make sure that it sits up against the star properly,, To adjust the brakes you should be pulling that thing out in order to turn the star, if the is no tension you may need to start replacing things.. I think its called the auto adjuster arm.. I noticed that the brake kits dont come with the auto adjuster parts,, you will probably want to get that.. its 10.99 from Dallas mustang,, and probably the same from the local parts store..
Old 02-27-2007, 08:32 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

is the star wore out? maybe rounded
Old 02-28-2007, 12:13 AM
Silver Ponys
2nd Gear Member

When I did my front brakes I think there was a right side and left side adjuster if they are on the wrong side I think they loosen instead of tighten the brakes
Old 02-28-2007, 01:31 AM
ky
America ftw

a quick solution would be convert to 4-wheel disc brakes. i wish i had the money for rear disks
Old 02-28-2007, 03:14 AM
burnettt
2nd Gear Member

that's what it was, seems to be fixed, but i'll know tomorrow. thanks
ORIGINAL: Silver Ponys

When I did my front brakes I think there was a right side and left side adjuster if they are on the wrong side I think they loosen instead of tighten the brakes