Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

intake and carb

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 04:46 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Default intake and carb

i have a 351w block right now im runing a old intak manifold and a crappy holley 750 im thinking about get webbers like this http://www.webercarburetors.com/ppw/...plete_kits.htm or going with a 3 2 barrel set up. i havent had a webber carb are they hard to tune
Old 03-02-2007, 05:29 AM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

Default RE: intake and carb

As they are one carb per 2 cylinder it will be an art to tune them but they look awsome the dog's bollox. Webers FTW
Old 03-02-2007, 08:15 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

each webber is a 2 barrel so its one barrel pre cylinder im debating on to go for a vintage look or so hell with and go efi
Old 03-02-2007, 09:38 AM
mikethebike
3rd Gear Member

First...are you wealthy? Webbers cost a bunch. The only way to properly tune them is with an EGT (exhaust gas temp) guage.You will need to drill and mount a bung on each exhaust port in the header becauseyou are feeding each cylinder with its own venturi. EVERYTHING can be tuned on a Webber...EVERYTHING. But I guess if you can afford them you can afford to pay someone to tune them for you. If you get them right they are the next best thing to FI. Most people don't get them right. You would be much better running agood single 4-barrell 750 double pumper and put the money you save into an IRS from Heidt's.Or maybe their 4-link.
I ran 4 Webbers on my 305 Gurney-Weslake back in '68 and loved them...but back them the 67 fastback was my LIFE. If you know what I mean.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:46 PM
85lebaront2
1st Gear Member

Webers are phenominal carbs, but as was previuosly pointed out, they are expensive, and can be a problem to tune. Not everyone knows how to tune them. There was at one time a book titled "Technical Introduction to the Master Catalogue". This was the Weber tuners bible. It had page after page of explanation of the interaction of the various jets, emulsion tubes, pump bleeds, pump shooters, venturiis, booster venturiis and how to size them to your application. After you buy a set of 48IDAs and an intake, you need 8X every part for tuning. You also need a good, but low pressure fuel supply, these things are super sensative to fuel pressure. They do, however look cool, and properly set up are very reliable. I have a friend in Arkasas with an MGB running a 40DCOE. I set the jetting up probably 10-15 years ago and it still runs great. He has had to put one kit in it since then.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:37 PM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

If you want a pro to tune the webbers for you, we now offer enine dyno testing and tuning. Doug our dyno guy has done many of the webber setups since we sell crate motors with that setup. You maybe able to buy it though us if you like. How it would work is you would ethier bring or ship the motor to us with we will put it on the dyno tune it and brake it in if its needed and do as many pulls as needed to get an accurate horse power reading for you. The price of the service is $250 for puting it on the dyno brakin and the pulls. If the motor needs alot of time to tune that would be at a hourly rate but I don't know what that rate is though. Looking at your zipcode I'm guessing shipping would somewhere between $100 to $150. I do all the balancing on our engines thats why I don't know alot about the dyno service other than we offer it. I plan on putting the webber setup on mine when I build my 347 anyways heres the websitehttp://tandlengines.com/

Mike
Old 03-03-2007, 01:56 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

mikethebike i already have heidts 4 link rear and i dont like irs 85lebaront thanks for that books name ill try the find it i kinda want a efi hilborn or something just like it get the vintage look with out using the ugly 5.0 efi will the intake for a 289/302 fit a 351w
Old 03-03-2007, 04:16 AM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

check out the mas-flo EFI, NICE
Old 03-03-2007, 01:23 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: andrewmp6

i have a 351w block right now im runing a old intak manifold and a crappy holley 750 im thinking about get webbers like this http://www.webercarburetors.com/ppw/...plete_kits.htm or going with a 3 2 barrel set up. i havent had a webber carb are they hard to tune
Maybe the 750 seems crappy because it's too big for most 351s with an old intake manifold...tune what you got with the right parts in proper combination. Throwing more money in the wrong direction won't help much.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:25 PM
mikethebike
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: andrewmp6

mikethebike i already have heidts 4 link rear and i dont like irs 85lebaront thanks for that books name ill try the find it i kinda want a efi hilborn or something just like it get the vintage look with out using the ugly 5.0 efi will the intake for a 289/302 fit a 351w
How do you like the 4-link? I've driven 1 but the car was a big block, automatic so I could not make the a-to-a comparison to my 289. Has anyone else had experience with the IRS from them.

Quick Reply: intake and carb