Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I wanna clean my oil pan.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 02:32 AM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

Default RE: I wanna clean my oil pan.....

get the carb cleaner that comes in a gallon can dump that in to the oil pan and let it soak over night. Than use a brush or scotbrite pad to remove the stobern areas then dump it all into the empty carb cleaner can and cleanup the rest of the stuff in the pan with spray carb or brake clean.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:43 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

If you plan on repainting, the best and easiest cleanup I do, is to use aircraft remover (strong paint remover). It does a great job on stuborn built up oil and road debris. Try it you might be surprised at how much work that this will save.

I use this for all of my parts cleaning, followed by a wash with Tide in hot water, at this point it is ready for scuffing and paint. It is like one stop shopping, it gets the oil and the paint in one shot.

<<Edit It will work great for the mess inside the pan as well>>
Old 03-05-2007, 05:47 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

if it is all sludgy inside put some type f tranny fluid on it then brush it and finish off with brake cleaner
Old 03-05-2007, 09:16 AM
bbbitter
1st Gear Member

Yeah its off the car. Thanks for all the ideas. Only question is where do I do this and how do I dispose of the waste when I'm done?
Old 03-05-2007, 01:00 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bbbitter

Yeah its off the car. Thanks for all the ideas. Only question is where do I do this and how do I dispose of the waste when I'm done?
You could put it in jars and keep it in your basement.

I don't know, maybe you could put this stuff in your wast oil and take it to autozone, it is waste oil, just older.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:18 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

baddog, i have a quick question, i want to change my oilpan with all new gaskets and nw front and rear main seals. i asked my dad and he said if you remove thw cross member theres a chance the frame might move a little but and it would be tough to get that back to put the cross member back in. my question is how would one go about moving the frame back if it moves? would i need to put the front on stands first?
Old 03-05-2007, 03:35 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

argh just be eco-unfriendly and blast that thing with the garden hose, then some gas or whatever else you have handy, then finish up with brake or carb cleaner. when i have lots of stuff i make a late night trip to the car wash and put the high pressure sprayer to work. have cleaned many blocks that way too LOL
Old 03-05-2007, 04:13 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

I'm too lazy for all that, just buy a new one
Old 03-05-2007, 04:46 PM
bbbitter
1st Gear Member

Yeah I think I've spent about as much money as I can this go round. I might just blast with thepreasure washer at night when nobody can see what I'm doing.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:50 PM
boeing747arowair
3rd Gear Member

dude, this is no big deal just get a brush and gas and clean it out. no need to crank on a pressure washer for this. clean it well with gas hit it with brake cleaner on the outside and paint it. Get a new gasket and slap it back on . No biggie!

Quick Reply: I wanna clean my oil pan.....