Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Steering Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 12:16 AM
morg68stang
1st Gear Member

Default Steering Issue

I'm trying to figure out a steering issue. When I'm going down the road, my steering wheel has rough spots in it when turning. It acts like it has spots where it sticks. Sitting still it's pretty smooth. I know I need some front end work done cuz it's kind of rough looking under there, but I was hoping this might be a minor fix that I could do until I had the cash saved up for a front end rebuild. Any ideas? I don't hear any squealing like the PS belt is loose or anything. What else might this be?

Thanks,
Old 03-08-2007, 12:44 AM
Gun Jam

Default RE: Steering Issue

It could be a lot of things

I would start with tie rod end or any ball and socket type part that fits on the drag link or has to do with steering.

If you push on the road wheel in and out does it move or make a popping sound? What about left and right any play there?

Could be a steering box

Just a few places to start.

Gun
Old 03-08-2007, 12:50 AM
morg68stang
1st Gear Member

There doesn't seem to be any play in the steering, but it does tend to float from side to side a little going down the road. I do have a couple of grease boots that are hosed so, you're right. It could be almost anything. No popping sounds, though. I just don't want to have to go through a front end rebuild to fix the problem just yet. I've checked the wheels before and they seem pretty tight as I remember, but it's been a while since I've had the front end up in the air.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:23 AM
bronco1
1st Gear Member

Morg, I'm thinking maybe the idler arm mounted to the r/h frame-rail attached to the drag-link, also a possible steering box, but not likely. If you had a tie-rod end going, youWILL hear it when there is stress on the wheels in turns, etc... I had an idler arm assembly cause me a lot of grief with rough and hard steering.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:43 AM
Gun Jam

The front end doesn't really need to be up in the air. Just give them a good push inward on the tire then pull towards you. If you can feel some play or something (any thing at all other than the entire car moving from the force of you pushing on the wheel) then its probably a tie rod or something near there that can be replaced for a few bucks.

If you cant feel anything you will probably be okay until the rebuild. ( if that's planed with in a few months)

Gun
Old 03-08-2007, 03:11 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

do 68's still have the ram type p/s?
my 66 had an issue sounded similar...easy then a hard spot then easy again. Different feel left turns to right turns, vague and wandering a bit
the steering box was worn and had play that could not be adjusted out. but also the ram was worn too. The guy who worked on it said it was a combo problem, but the ram was causing the easy/hard wierd stuff. I dont know how expensive they are over there? I ditched mine and went new manual steering box.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:21 AM
morg68stang
1st Gear Member

I'm actually contemplating going manual when it comes to rebuild time. Pros/cons? How hard is that to do and what do you need to do it? Cost? Weighing my options.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:52 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

pretty simple
Manual steering box - same price near enough as power steer (might even be the same box for 68). I went 16:1 same ratio as the 66 p/s. Stock is 22:1 i think, again this is 66, not 68.
Need the manual steer drag link that the power steer ram is connected to now. This has different fittings but available from a wrecking yard for near zip over there (cost me $300 plus my power steer one here...ripped off bad!!!)
Pull all the pumps etc off

Pro - IMO better steering feel andless things to go wrong
Con - heavier steering. But my car is a weekender and I dont leave it in the mall carparks EVER, so once i got used to it, no issue. You need to have eaten your weeties if you want to drive it sideways! I try not to do that except at the circuit where adrenalin covers it easy

only other mod to consider when doing it is collapsible steering column but i'm pretty sure you have that already.

good luck with it
Old 03-08-2007, 09:45 AM
OhioMachIRunner69
2nd Gear Member

If the car wanders back and forth you may have issues with your tie rods. Those are cheap and a good thing to replace if they look like they have seen some action. I also agree with bronco1, it may be an idler arm issue. If the car turns fine when it is sitting I doubt that it has anything to do with the steering box.

As far as switching to manual steering you can get all the parts you need, used on ebay for a good price. I recently bought an entire manual steering setup (minus steering box) for less than $50, and that includes shipping. The different parts include a manual centerlink, idler arm and pittman arm. Unless your car is a GT you will probably need to swap out the steering box for a manual one...the only difference is the ratio. Manual steering is nice because it has some feel to it, unlike the Mustang PS setups. The down side is turning at low speeds is more difficult, like in parking lots.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:37 AM
dnswwood
2nd Gear Member

One thing not mentioned ..do you have headers? I know on my 70 i have headers and when i bought the car the drivers side header actually rubbed on the slave cylinder and caused steering kind of like what you are talking about.there is a bracket that lowers the slave cylinder by one inch.after putting this on my steering problem went away.
More than likely it is one of the other things mentioned above but its worth checking out
Jeff

Quick Reply: Steering Issue