Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

project 1970 update

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 11:33 PM
deadmanrob
1st Gear Member

Default project 1970 update

well i finally got a lil time from work to work on my 1970 coupe and didnt get alot done but got enough to please me . i painted the ugly red fan blade that was faded pink , i painted it black. but the primary thing is i put the hood back on it (which was off when i bought it ) took a billion gallons of liquid wrench to loosen the hood springs back up to close it. took the gas tank out and took out the sending unit replacing it with a 70 mach 1's stainless steel one. and painted the tank black . also placed the taillights back into the car which was also out when i got it . the back bumper is going to need to be replaces being that it was slightly bent with a little surface rust and while it was sitting behind it some1 seemed to have stepped on it where it was sitting and split the metal where it was bending and i dont feel like re chroming the front so im probly just going to buy new ones . also i changed the oil and when it allllll came down to it at the end of the day i was too annoyed to start the body work being that when i put the tank back in and got ready to start her up again and here her purrrr after all this loven i went and realized some1 snagged my battery...... some1 had the pair o nuts to come in my yard and take my effing battery . so.... i made sure that hood got put back on and went and refilled my paintball gun co2 tank.... come take somthin else i need target practice. anyway all in all i didnt get to hear her run but was a pretty prosperous day . heres a link of the pictures when i first got her home and the storey behind her is on this link . ill be updaten the newer picture when i get off work friday afternoonhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/2560576anyway im not sure who cares about everything i just said ha ha but figured some1 might get a laugh or two at me
Old 03-14-2007, 01:23 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: project 1970 update

Wow sounds like a productive day. Today I only got my glove box back on . Looks like that car needs a lot of work, good luck! Keep us updated
Old 03-14-2007, 01:36 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Last edited by Scott H.; 01-18-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:52 AM
deadmanrob
1st Gear Member

thanx for the concern . it will surely be an experiance the exterior shouldnt be a problem for me at all im not a pro but is somthing i like to do in spare time. anyway friday when im off hope to have another batt in and cranken her up i just need to get new tires for it before it is even mobile but am really lookin forward for the pain in the butt
Old 03-14-2007, 03:14 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

dont look bad hows the floor pan and cow vent any rust there
Old 03-14-2007, 03:32 AM
Mustang Dad
2nd Gear Member

Looking at your pics, its not a base to start. The body seems straight and you've the basis for an engine. Good luck n the remod and take the time to do a great job.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:35 AM
Mustang Dad
2nd Gear Member

Well damn....it is a GOOD base to start with. I cant type for crud these days
Old 03-14-2007, 03:41 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

very nice! im about to start my engine for the first time come friday, and i will post pics of it then too. but so far
engine - done
tranny - not so done
rear -not so done
body - half done
suspention - not to done
safety upgrades - not nearly clsoe to being done
Old 03-14-2007, 06:50 PM
deadmanrob
1st Gear Member

well sense it has been sitting it was somwhat covered . i looked underneath and the most rust under there is a lil surface on the exhaust pipes . the engine has abour 47,000 original miles . was low mileage when my uncle got it in 80 and sat there pretty much since then . we turned the engine over by puttin a little gas in thecar and she cranked right up but turned it right back off being that i didnt wanna pull the crud from the tank . and thank god i did when i cleaned out the the tank the crap came out red/maroon . was sickening . looked like crap from a horror movie. so i got all the settlement it now cleaned out too. but anyway yea pretty much all i need to do to it is bodywork and cosmetic crap . but the front floorboards will need to be replaced. just the primary foot placement of the floorboard is the only thing rotted through so i got lucky there as well . i tell you what body dosent look superb but this was a hellova deal for $150 . its a beast.And atom thats gr8 to hear man keep me updated . being our stangs are so close to eachother id like to hear what you do with yours . could get some ideas .
Old 03-18-2007, 07:38 AM
deadmanrob
1st Gear Member

well i found the suspect of the battery thief . my brother took it to let my uncle use it in his van until he charged his battery . well his battery isnt to be found from down at his house and when i went to get the battary from his van (which is parked by the road with the hood latch broken ) i foun that some1 took it str8 out of his van lmao so now i gotta go buy or find another battery.

Quick Reply: project 1970 update