Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

69 OEM Wire Harness

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 05:51 PM
69stangjuice

Default 69 OEM Wire Harness

Hey hows it goin?

I've got a 69 Mustang GT Coupe. Im lookin for the OEM harness for it, could someone inform where would be the best and cheapest place to get this from. I'm lookin to buy it all as one rather then small sections.

Thanks,
Grant
Old 03-17-2007, 06:55 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 69 OEM Wire Harness

painless wiring just put out a complete car harness for 69/70 go check it out at thee website, its about 650-700 $$$
Old 03-17-2007, 08:00 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

That will be a junk yard only item. I wish you guys would get off the Painless wiring harrness kick. They do not come with the correct connectors for stuff like the heater or the headlights. There is no way I can see paying that kind of money for a wiring harness. For that kind of money you could build one from scratch yourself!
Old 03-17-2007, 08:04 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 67t5ponycoupe

That will be a junk yard only item. I wish you guys would get off the Painless wiring harrness kick. They do not come with the correct connectors for stuff like the heater or the headlights. There is no way I can see paying that kind of money for a wiring harness. For that kind of money you could build one from scratch yourself!
well good news, i dont have a heater, and if my headlight ones arnt correct i will use my old ones
Old 03-17-2007, 08:11 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

That is my point exactly! If you have to use your old connectors then what is the freaking point? If you have problems with your original harness and you can't figure out what is wrong them what makes you think you have the skill to install a painless when you have to reusehalf of the connectors from the original? I don't mean you specifically, I mean you in general. Painless is not the cure all to wiring problems. Most wiring problems can be solved with some good diagnostic skills and patients!
Old 03-20-2007, 06:40 PM
69stangjuice

The reason im lookin for a new harness is because everything else on my car has been rebuilt/is brand new...suspension, floors, fenders, doors, everything...and i dont see a point in puttin in something that is old, and has more of a chance of failing out on me then if I were to replace it with a new one...but I would not spend 6-700 dollars on a new harness when i could make it...this is true...but Thanks atomsk680
Old 03-20-2007, 09:34 PM
easttennmotors
2nd Gear Member

just some things to think about, if you know what your doing it will take 30-40 hours to install a new wiring harness if you do it the right way, that means no crimp connections, solder and heat shrink every connectionex. if you need to connect wireto a ring connector or slide connector get the all metalconnectors and solder the wire straight to it and wrap with electrical tape, it may just be me but i dont trust crimp connectors...making a wiring harness would take you 3 months if you did it in your spare time, oh man i dont even want to think about that kind of undertaking, but buying a 40 year old wiring harness thats been collecting dust isnt smart imo either can anyone say electric fire, to me i have installed a painless in a 66 and in 2 68's and plan on using one for my 69 and they are so worth the money...
Old 03-20-2007, 09:47 PM
dnswwood
2nd Gear Member

Just curiously,how many connectors did you have to replace ? There was a post in this thread that mentioned the painless wiring harnesses had the wrongconnectors for the ends of the harness.Things like the heater and headlights were mentioned.Have you had this problem also?
Thanks for any answers.
Jeff
Old 03-20-2007, 09:53 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

i saw an add for a harness for the 69-70 car the other day might want to check out the mustang mags
Old 03-20-2007, 11:17 PM
easttennmotors
2nd Gear Member

you have towire intoheadlight connections, if your using a stock gauge cluster you have to find a 69/70 plug in connector, like other dude said i havent done a heater car yet but i would imagine you do, taillights, side markers, reverse lights i believe, it has wires for stereo hookup, blinkers but that is a solder connection, dome lights, horn, ignition, wipers, dash lights, i cant remember em all but the ignition, gauges, and wipers are the most time consuming, just so you know installing a wiring harness is a BIG undertaking and you will learn some new 4 letter words...

Quick Reply: 69 OEM Wire Harness