Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I Am Super POed

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 02:54 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

Default I Am Super POed

so i get my engine all buttoned up and then i start it to break in the new cam right and i notice that a couple of the valves are too tight so i go to readjust and there is a bent rod and the lifter is sitting down way down so i am thinking that a lobe went down like way down and i am so mad cause i have put together several engines without any real problems but teverytime i touch this one to do stuff it always goes wrong and its always way wrong and now i don't have the time to go back into it and fix it so i have to take it to the shop whick will be about $400.00 i am so pissed cause i will prob have to buy another cam but i am hoping that the lifter is screwed up
Old 03-22-2007, 03:20 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I Am Super POed

How do you know it will be $400? If the engine components are new and you haven't started it yet, your cam lobe is not flat. You probably just didn't adjust the valve correctly and bent the pushrod. Check all the pushrods and replace the bad one's. Adjust them correctly and things will be good. You shouldn't be in such a hurry. You may have made this mistake because of the rush.

P.S. That is the longest damn sentence I have ever seen. Did you miss the day in school when they discussed periods? Just kiddin[8D]
[align=left] [/align]
Old 03-22-2007, 03:24 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

i didn't rush i took 5 days to do it i got every thing all set up and ya the pushrod sits like 1.5" lower than the rest i already fired it
Old 03-22-2007, 03:43 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Brandontyler65

i didn't rush i took 5 days to do it i got every thing all set up and ya the pushrod sits like 1.5" lower than the rest i already fired it
I am having trouble figuring where a lifter would go to drop an inch and a half. The can lobe is nowhere near that tall, and neither is the hydraulic part of the lifter.

Could the cam and lifter "wear down" an inch and a half together? Or did the cam break when everything was in a bind?

1 1/2 inches is a long way for a lifter, it would need to be practically out the bottom of the bore.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:55 AM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

i will prob have to buy another cam but i am hoping that the lifter is screwed up
Most cams come with a new set of lifters anyways....and since you probably made the cam go flat with that sunken lifter, It might not be a bad idea to just replace the them. Curious...how long did you run it for before you noticed the broken stuff? 1.5" is pretty damn deep.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:24 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

15 min i was running quite smooth then when i went to adjust the valves after the breakin i noticed a bent rod so i pulled it out ang got a new one so i go drop it in and it goes in really deep as in the ball is barely above the slot in the head
Old 03-22-2007, 02:05 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

maybe the pushrod you got to replace the bent one is too short

i once wiped out a lobe and beat the living snot out of a lifter (i wish i still have them for pics) but anyways i prolly hade close to an inch between the two, but that motor ran for like 1500 miles to beat that far (one of those .471 lift summit cams.... the thing would STILL roast the tires with a bum lobe)
Old 03-22-2007, 11:25 PM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

When you redo it make sure you use Rotella 10w 40 oil its the only oil that has zink in it to keep the cam from being wiped on startup. We've had couple of flat tappet cam engines wipe the cam as soon as the engine fired the first time but we have not had that problem since we switched to using the Rotella. Make sure you prime the engine before you attempt to start the engine.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:30 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

i did all that bu i didn;t use rotella i used straight 30
Old 03-22-2007, 11:57 PM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

Rottella makes a huge difference, with out it that cam can be wiped in secounds.

Quick Reply: I Am Super POed