Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Front End Upgrade??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 04:00 PM
66JameStang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Front End Upgrade??

ORIGINAL: Rorin67

ORIGINAL: gothand

This is my opinion only, but I think the Mustang II front was a novel idea back in the day, but with all the other options out there now, I wouldn't touch it! You basically have to hack up your classic to put it in. If you're hellbent on rack and pinion, I'd stick a Flaming River or Unisteer, et al and upgrade the stock suspension to a Global West, etc. You'll get the best of the modern stuff without hacking up your ride.
+1

Except for the Flaming River R&P - I, and several others here, would not recommend it at all. [:@] The FR steering box, however, is another question. [&:]
Just out of curiousity why d you not recommend the R&P from flaming river?
Old 03-23-2007, 04:18 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rorin67

+1

Except for the Flaming River R&P - I, and several others here, would not recommend it at all. [:@] The FR steering box, however, is another question. [&:]
I was saying the R&P for his benefit as an alternative to him hacking up the front end.[sm=innoc.gif]

Heck, I'm fine with the stock steering. The input valve (or whatever they call it on this steering system which controls the amount of input feet to get the power steering to work) could be toned down a bit, but other than that ... it sure beats the close ratio manual steering that came factory with my '65 GT. That thingbuilt up your forearms like a lonely sailor at sea. [sm=smiley36.gif]
Old 03-23-2007, 05:36 PM
mikethebike
3rd Gear Member

If you want a front suspension ngneered just for your car go to chris alston chassis workand see what they have. NOT inexpensive but very good. (Not the Total Control stuff)
Old 03-23-2007, 05:40 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MrMischief

was lookin into redoing my front suspension on my '65coupe,restomod style...hehehe. i like the coilover bolt-in upgrade, but i ALSO like the weld in mustang 2 front end. i dont really plan on autocrossing and whatnot, but i do drive like a bat outta hell. so i want yall's opinions. no matter which one, i want to drop the front and rear about 1 inch, maybe more not sure yet. anyhoo, what do yall think? its a 65 coupe, 289, 3-speed stick (its goin bye bye soon enough ). Thanks.
Cory
Opinions on the Pinto/Mustang II front suspension? It works well enough in the smaller cars, especially with stiff springs and sta-bars (I had a Pinto with those sorts of mods back in the 70's that held its own at autocross).

Those Mustang II control arms are pretty short, which means that the geometry will vary more as the suspension moves. That's not necessarily a good thing. Stiffer than otherwise necessary springs is sort of a band-aid just to keep the geometry from going too far off.

Longer arms with the Mustang II spindles might be better, but only after spending some quality time with a 3-D suspension geometry program to get the chassis side pickups in the right places.

Norm
Old 03-23-2007, 09:24 PM
MrMischief

thanks for all thi info guys, i guess i forgot to say that i have manual steering. yes it does build your forearms up, lol.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:34 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: gothand

This is my opinion only, but I think the Mustang II front was a novel idea back in the day, but with all the other options out there now, I wouldn't touch it! You basically have to hack up your classic to put it in. If you're hellbent on rack and pinion, I'd stick a Flaming River or Unisteer, et al and upgrade the stock suspension to a Global West, etc. You'll get the best of the modern stuff without hacking up your ride.

I know Soaring will agree with me on this one!
Amen, brother! Mustang II front ends are weak anyway. Why spend a ton of money to hack up your classic, then wind up with a weaker front end than you started with just so you can put an oversized motor in your classic that was never meant to be there in the first place. Get you a fox body and have a ball, but like said, you have other choices for horsepower other than hacking up a perfectly good classic Mustang.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:17 PM
JamesW

In this case I agree with Soaring. All the aftermarket systems are overrated, overpriced, and overadvertised. How many people actually need a race car front end?

New OEM style components by a brand name like Moog, good shocks, 620 springs, Roller perches, roller Idler (I LOVE mine), a little larger front sway bar, and a rebuilt steering box. It's half the cost and just as good.

The only thing missing is the brag-factor
Old 03-24-2007, 02:03 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

soaring the link i posted up there is the only mustang 2 kit that wont weaken your front end but takes alot of welding and hacking. i love mine too much to cut up like that rather use a coil over kit atleast then its removable if i change my mind later on. james some of the vintage racing classes wont let you race if you have coilovers or a mustang 2 kit
Old 03-24-2007, 03:26 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JamesW

In this case I agree with Soaring. All the aftermarket systems are overrated, overpriced, and overadvertised. How many people actually need a race car front end?

New OEM style components by a brand name like Moog, good shocks, 620 springs, Roller perches, roller Idler (I LOVE mine), a little larger front sway bar, and a rebuilt steering box. It's half the cost and just as good.

The only thing missing is the brag-factor
I only have personal experience with three early Mustangs, a '65 GT coupe, '65 fastback and my brother's '66 convertibile. Both the coupe and convertible were completely rebuilt with all new arms, bushings, shocks (KYB), springs and front and rear swaybars, export braces and monte carlo bars. In their own right, they performed and handled quite well unti. ...

... I redid the fastback suspension. I went full Global West, including new upper and lower arms, Koni shocks, front swaybar (no rear needed with this kit), and yet to be installed monte carlo bar and subframe connectors.

Even without having it aligned, the monte carlo bar and the subframe connectors installed, the difference in handling between the fastback and the others is shocking. Whether that is worth the added price is a personal decision. I don't even have the foggiest idea what the kit cost back in '94 when I got it, so I guess it is worth it to me. I can tell you that it handles like it is on rails with no understeer.

The steering components are still factory PS.

FWIW, the suspension with shocksin my Jeep TJ pushes $3000(which is the norm for a performance suspension) and I have another $1500 in the steering, so the Global West seems like a bargain in comparison.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:24 AM
MrMischief

what are the perks of having roller perches and roller idlers? i realize reduced friction on the bushings and whatnot, but why are they better?

Quick Reply: Front End Upgrade??