Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

How much is enough?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 03:55 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How much is enough?

I like just enough power to be able to smoke somebody from stoplight to stoplight, but not enough so that it seems more like a drag car.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:25 PM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: five pt oh

+1 on torque over hp. My 1990 5.0 was by far my most fun mustang. It may not have all the hp of a new one, but all that torque made it so much more fun to drive.

Anyone know how much power a 1965 cruise-amatic transmission is good for??? I've got the origional automatic in thereand I'd rather not blow it up.
Torque is the name of the game. That's the reason I went with aluminum heads.Gobbs more torque.

As for your your question: How much power a 1965 cruise-amatic transmission is good for???. I also have a C4 transmission in mine and my motor is putting out 375 - 400 horse, and so far so good. I've had the car for 10 yrs now.The only thing I did to it was put a TCI 2800 stall speed converter. I do not drag race the car, but I do notice that when I get on it,the next day I see that it has leaked a drop or two of tranny fluid.I figure when it blows up I will get one of these:

[blockquote]

Back when a Mustang breaking into the 9's was pushing the envelope, DYNAMIC saw the need for an effective racing C-4. It's small size, light weight and inherent strength made it an ideal candidate for a full DYNAMIC "message". With racers all over the country already having great success with DYNAMIC's Power Glides, C-6's, T400's, etc., owner/president Harold Miller set out to turn the C-4 into a winner too. After making the usual DYNAMIC 'comp' modifications including wide bushings, Kevlar band, Kolene steels, etc., Miller turned out the first C-4 brake that was good enough to use in serious competition. Having a close working relationship with the Briante family and the Golick's made a series of true race-proven modifications possible, which have continued to develop over the years. The success of these modifications prompted Bernie Golick to declare the DYNAMIC C-4 a "Mighty Mite". As Fords keep breaking track records and producing more power, DYNAMIC will continue to develop its product so that racers can always depend upon them to handle whatever horsepower the vehicle can dish out.

NEWEST DYNAMIC DEVELOPMENT:
The Millenium 2000
MIGHTY MITE m2

Vasco Input Shaft, Teflon Rings, Solid Forward Drum, Kolene Steels, Kevlar Band, Full Roller Set, Modified Servo, Lightened Drive Shell, Deep Pan, Dynamic Brake, Locking Dipstick, SFI Bellhousing and Flywheel, Custom TCT Race Converter
Once again, after working closely with a successful racer, namely Bob Kurgan, DYNAMIC has put together their most awesome Mighty Mite package to date. Directly following the installation of the new m2, along with a new TCT 9" race converter, Bob became one of the fastest competitors in Renegade classes of Mustang drag racing. Coincidence? Very Doubtful.

[/blockquote]
Old 03-30-2007, 04:42 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

i do mostly highway driving so the hp makes it more fun for me cause i go about 60miles one way so its fun
Old 03-30-2007, 04:53 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

torque is where its at for me, rarely does the car see over 100 mph, but gettin there is all the fun IMO of course unlike brandontyler65, most of my driving is light to light city driving so really anything over 70 isnt really all that important, dont get me wrong i love to pin the needle at 120 everyonce in a while, but i get more of a rush squealin the tires and makin smoke[8D]
Old 03-30-2007, 07:58 PM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

+1 on hp being useless if you can't put it to the wheels.

Since these classics aren't built for crazy speeds, torque is your best friend. Having a little hp "on demand" alway helps too after your out of the hole and have planted your tires.

and five pt. oh, the C4's are mighty little trannys. I would say that they can easily withstand up to 400 horses. Anything above that and you'd probably wanna change it out, but if you're seeing 400hp through the drivetrain you'll probably start breaking other things first before the tranny goes.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:29 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 65mojoe

+1 on hp being useless if you can't put it to the wheels.

Since these classics aren't built for crazy speeds, torque is your best friend. Having a little hp "on demand" alway helps too after your out of the hole and have planted your tires.

and five pt. oh, the C4's are mighty little trannys. I would say that they can easily withstand up to 400 horses. Anything above that and you'd probably wanna change it out, but if you're seeing 400hp through the drivetrain you'll probably start breaking other things first before the tranny goes.
Do you know what kind of power a stock 4-speed manual tranny can handle?
Old 03-31-2007, 01:26 AM
five pt oh
2nd Gear Member

Thanks tojspagnal & mojoe for the transmission replies. I had no idea they could do up to 400hp. I've heard the reargear is probably only good to 300hp, but changing that out is no biggie. What other parts would I be loosing between 300-400?
Old 03-31-2007, 01:30 AM
Bentworker
2nd Gear Member

I like as much as I can afford.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:11 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

i didnt want to break things it just happens to me glad im no longer owner of that 240sx
Old 03-31-2007, 06:26 AM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

for my 66 i think what i want is about 400hp and 450ft lb tq. but i want a late 80's early 90's or a '03, '04 cobra....and then

HA! their is no idea of "enough"...enough would come where i get myself killed trying to break a land speed record with the newer stangs