Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Car stalls when put in gear.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 08:03 PM
sxs191
2nd Gear Member

Default Car stalls when put in gear.

The car idles and runs perfect while it's in park/neutral. As soon as I put it in drive or reverse it stalls. I can get it moving if I gun it when I put it in gear but when I put on the brakes it stalls. It doesn't stall when I apply the brakes in park or neutral so it obviously doesn't like being in gear. It's currently on blocks. Any idea's? Thanks.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:17 PM
mlitz
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Car stalls when put in gear.

well I'm guessing it is a c4? have you done any thing to the engine to up the power? heads increase c.i., any big ups in horses? if so then you might need a higher stall converter (i have only heard of this happening once). if not you might want to up the idle a little and if that dose not work i don't know what to do.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:20 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Ya know, about once a year we need to do a complete engine tune-up on these old carbureted engines. I dare say you haven't done that in awhile. You need new plugs and wires, adjust your carb and re-set the timing.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:20 PM
NorCalTroy
3rd Gear Member

This may be a dumb question, but are you letting the car warm up a little before you put it in gear?
Old 03-30-2007, 08:23 PM
xgodpigeonx
1st Gear Member

if your stepping on the brake and it cuts out, you could be drawing power from something. check fuel pressure, make sure your plugs arent fowl'd up, check/clean/replace pcv, check spark plug wires. start small. is it an auto or manual? need a little more info on the car.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:26 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Are you vacuum assisted? Does it stall when your foot goes onto the brake? Or after you've put it into gear and released the brake?

If it's going out when your put your foot on the brake, check for a leak in the vacuum assist system line or check valve.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:44 PM
sxs191
2nd Gear Member

It is a C4. It has all new plugs, wires, new pvc. Carburator was just rebuilt. Pertronix ignition and flame thrower. No HP upgrades. If it wassomething with the engine ie; timimg, carb woudn't it run like crap all the time? Yes,the car was running for about 10 minutes first and runs perfect in P and N.It is vacuum assisted but it doesn't stall when the brakes are pushed in P or N, only when in gear. It is a auto. Thanks for helping.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:57 PM
xgodpigeonx
1st Gear Member

drop the tranny pan. see if you got metal. sounds like something maybe locking up and stalling out the engine.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:03 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

a quick way to test that theory is put it into 1 or 2 and see if does the same thing. If it does then you may have a clog!? If it doesn't stall when you do that then (i forget the technical name for it) but it's the transmission neutral saftey switch (i think that's it)I'd be looking at.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Derf00

a quick way to test that theory is put it into 1 or 2 and see if does the same thing. If it does then you may have a clog!? If it doesn't stall when you do that then (i forget the technical name for it) but it's the transmission neutral saftey switch (i think that's it)I'd be looking at.
Nah, the neutral safety switch just keeps form starting the car in drive.Not sure about your carb overhaul guy, but you seem to have some carb issues.Or, you have a vacuum leak. Get some carburetor cleaner and spray around the base of your intake manifold while the engine is running. If the rpm picks up, you have a a gasket leak on your intake manifold. Check the gasket on the bottom of your carburetor. Is it there? Any leak in the vacuum system will make this problem.

Quick Reply: Car stalls when put in gear.