Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Classic car with modern drive train??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 02:05 AM
five pt oh
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Classic car with modern drive train??

I have one of each too, and I'd be FAR more likely to put a 289 (or some other classic engine) in my 2005 than I would be willing to put a 3valve EFI V8 in my 1965. There's nothing special about the 2005+ engines. Putting one into an old stang seems like a step backwards.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:47 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

id use the 302 5.0 thats efi 67-73 you can use a fe or a 460 the 4.6/5.4 has been done its alot of work and you have to cut the car almost in half its alot of work for a small pay off. and the mustang 2 ifs youll have to use isnt know for great handling
Old 04-04-2007, 09:51 AM
radtexas

Thanks for all your responese so far. Sounds like split decision so far. I am still looking for car so I am far away but better to research up front and have a plan as soon as possible. BTW I was planning on a Heits MII front end swap no matter what I do just to clean up the engine bay. Since I doubt I can afford or find a numbers car I don't feel bad about modernizing on the restore.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:57 AM
radtexas

ORIGINAL: 66GTKFB

Go to www.mustangsplus.com for an idea as to what's available and what the cost is. They are not the only shop to do this. There have been T5 transmissions in a 64-69 for a long time. It's relatively easy now. A 4.6 engine requires the shock towers to be removed and a whole new front suspension system installed. I think Mustang Monthly magazine may have had a story on the engine part.
Jim
Thanks for the link. Looks like a lot of good stuff. Will take a while to go through it all but that is part of the fun.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:32 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

I agree, its a split decision for me also. I have 5 TRUE originals. These have no mods such as disc brakes, master cylinders or any other part that is not NOS or MCA approved. Two still have the single bowl master cylinder that they came with. I know thats a safety issue but these will remain TRUE since they were allthere and in good enough condition and worthy to keep that way. These I will try tomantain just like they are.On the flip, I also have a couple of Restomods. These are highly modifed and have modern drivelines and one with a EFI. These cars were missing a lot when purchsed (no engine, suspension, seats, etc.) and would have been very costly to try to bring back to a concours state. So I had fun with these. They have the looks of a classic with the advantages of a modern drivetrain (CoVert66 just said that). To me, original has only one meaning, original. To altera carwith any way orform of modification or upgrade, brakes, wheels, etc, simply puts these cars in the "resto" group since they are not 100% original or concours correct. If you want a modern drive train, then go for it.These can be a challenging build, however if its what you want, the end result is well worth it.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:20 PM
five pt oh
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: andrewmp6

id use the 302 5.0 thats efi 67-73 you can use a fe or a 460 the 4.6/5.4 has been done its alot of work and you have to cut the car almost in half its alot of work for a small pay off. and the mustang 2 ifs youll have to use isnt know for great handling
+ 1 on using the 302 (like JamesW's) instead of a new mustang V8.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:09 PM
03Mach69Mach
1st Gear Member

I agree 100%. For those cars that are missing lots of stuff or in relatively bad shape, then restoring them with modern features (including brakes) is a good thing. Bringing back an old Mustang and driving it on the roads only help the hobby (especially with classic Mustangs). Don't take a rare 'R' code '68 and put a 351 crate motor in it. But if it is a 6 cylinder coupe, knock yourself out.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:26 PM
BlackLX
4th Gear Member

I'm all for it. This is the best one I've ever seen

entire build up thread
http://svtperformance.com/forums/sho...highlight=Mach

Old 04-04-2007, 10:30 PM
five pt oh
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlackLX

This is probably a really stupid question, but if it's got ram air coming through the top, then why does it need the other air filter and intake under the hood too? Maybe all EFI ram inductions have 2 intakes like that, but I think this isthe first time I've ever noticed it.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yes, the shaker ram channels the air to in front of the filter on my Mach. This one doesn't seem to do that.

Quick Reply: Classic car with modern drive train??