Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Oil Synthetic or Conventional

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 12:36 AM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Oil Synthetic or Conventional

ya right after my rebuild i switched to syn (mobile 1). its best to use it right when the engine is rebuilt so the seals set to it but if u go back it can shock the seals and start oil leaks (ive heard this but ive also heard thats a rumor....not gonna risk it tho)
Old 04-16-2007, 01:12 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: mikethebike

ORIGINAL: Soaring

I haven't changed to synthetic in the 65. I run Mobil 1 in the 03 Mach1. I am going to change to mobil 1 in the 65 next week, so will let you know how much it leaks. My understanding is that they leak for awhile, then eventually stop leaking. We shall see. I have been using Rotella in the 65 which I believe to be the best dino oil.
On this same subject about leaks..I first used Mobil-1 in a 1979 Fiesta with 100,000 on the odometer, had no leaks and went 12,000 miles without having to add any oil. The car had only seen GTX-20/50. The leaks occur when your oil cokes-up on the surface and then the seals dry out, shrink and develop microscopic cracks. When you put in Mobil-1 it cleans the crud off the surface and then it leaks out the cracks in the seals.
I have heard and read that too Mike. I will find out next week if that theory is correct or BS.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:22 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

When you change to a synthetic oil, you'll want to get a better filter media as well. Mobil 1 and Amsoil each have their own filters. Either filter would work fine with Royal Purple, Red Line, etc.

As for leaks, synthetics can help your seals out as well. If your engine is already oozing or using oil, don't go synthetic without fixing the problems. I typically go 15k-20k miles without the need to add any oil at all. Even with some older engines.

Part of oil use in an engine is oil burn off. Conventional oils will start boiling parts of their oil off, lowering the volume of the oil while leaving behind the heavier by-products which create sludge.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:51 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

ok well ima give mobil 1 a try after i hear what hapens to glen cause its freakin hot here in AZ i have to use 20w-50 or what not in the summer cause its like 115 and in traffic on the highway and all the heat from the other caes and the black top it sucks but if i do go to syn what weight should i go with cause there are several i was thinkin 5w-40 or 15w-50 and i have seen a 5w50 from one of the brands but i am not sure
Old 04-16-2007, 12:24 PM
jrrhd73must
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Yeah, the Fl1A is what you should use. I change mine twice a year too. And, the reason is not that the synthetic oil breaks down, it's that moisture tends to collect in the oil pan, and Ford recommends that you change the oil at a certain mileage or at least twice a year no matter how many miles you drive it. I put 5K miles on mine, then change the filter and drive it 5K more. That makes the synthetic less expensive than dino oil because you would have to change dino three times to one for the syn.
Go with a Napa Gold filter. It is actuall a wix and far superior to the F11A.

As far as synthetics. I agree that there are a few good ones, Mobil 1 being one of them. However, with mobil 1 you are on your own if you go beyond the manufactures recommended oil change interval. Amsoil, gives you a warranty against no additional wear and tear for extending out the interval. There are ways to get Amsoil reasonably. If I didn't use Amsoil, I would use Mobil 1 over Redline and Royal Purple - based on cost.

Also, I used to use 20W50 conventional in my 73 Mustang and then switched to Amsoil. I now run 10W40 and the car runs much cooler.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:00 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Brandontyler65

ok well ima give mobil 1 a try after i hear what hapens to glen cause its freakin hot here in AZ i have to use 20w-50 or what not in the summer cause its like 115 and in traffic on the highway and all the heat from the other caes and the black top it sucks but if i do go to syn what weight should i go with cause there are several i was thinkin 5w-40 or 15w-50 and i have seen a 5w50 from one of the brands but i am not sure
I am going to try 10W40 Mobil 1 in Ol' Yeller. I will be changing it today, so by the end of the week I should know if it leaks or not.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:10 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

you know what i find funy is the whole 3mo 3k miles thing cause my mustang came with the originl owners manual (not a reprint) and it says 5k miles or 6 months and thats with the crappy oil they had back then in the 60's i would think that you would be more able to attain that with todyas oil without any major consequence
Old 04-16-2007, 03:36 PM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 66GTKFB

You're on the correct oil path, don't change.
Jim
I agree with 66GTKFB. It's not your daily driver and you are religious with your oil changes. I would keep doing what your doing. As long as your using a quality motor oil,it's not worth the added expense in my opinion. I use 20/50 in my motor and a Motocraft Racing oil filter.

[align=center]

HIGH PERFORMANCE OIL FILTER 6 & 8 CYL (FRPP)
Ford Racing FL-1HP Oil Filter.

Combines the technology of the Motorcraft FL-1A with a new canister designed for high-performance. Its a single stage full-flow filter capable of handling the high oil flow rates of racing engines. Premium quality filter paper withstanding the hottest temperatures. The base plate design provides full oil flow under high rev conditions. It'll withstand burst pressures of 400 PSI. Fits where any FL-1A filter is recommended.

Related Parts:
-Oil Filter Adapter, #M6880A50
-Remote Mounted Oil Filter Adapter Kit, #M6881C100
-Engine Oil Cooler Kit, Heavy Duty, #M6642S101

Item No:FL1HP 01
Price: $14.95
[/align]
Old 04-16-2007, 04:34 PM
mikethebike
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Brandontyler65

you know what i find funy is the whole 3mo 3k miles thing cause my mustang came with the originl owners manual (not a reprint) and it says 5k miles or 6 months and thats with the crappy oil they had back then in the 60's i would think that you would be more able to attain that with todyas oil without any major consequence
I did that in my new 67 fastback....motor lasted 23,000 miles befor needing a ring/bearing/bore job. 10/30 Rotunda and Rotunda filters. After I put the Gurney-Weslake in I used nothing but GTX. Reved 8500 daily and never had a problem.

To Soaring...that info about leaks came from a series of oill article in either American Iron or V-Twin harley magazines a few years back. They went to the Mobil engineer whowas headthe project for Mobil-1 oil..which was the first fully synthetic oil.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

thats one expensive filter i use the wix or motorcraft and if not avail i get a Fram HP1

Quick Reply: Oil Synthetic or Conventional