Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

horsepowder

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 10:24 PM
theAutomatics
1st Gear Member

Default horsepowder

I hate asking these questions because of their redundancy but i'm in the dark.

After recently buying my 67' mustang, 289 engine code C, 2V...... I drove it around and was really dissapointed with its speed. I believe there's a vaccum leak by the orginal 2bbl carb too. That cant help. So I bought the following mods in hopes of getting a respectable horsepower rating. What do you think it'll be?

Mods:
1.Barry Grant 575 speed demon 4bbl carb
2.Weiand stealth intake manifold
3. hooker longtube headers, 2 1/2 exhaust tubes with bassani mufflers
4. Summit cam, 218/228 @.050, Lift = .471/.471
5. B & M shift kit.
6. Replacing valve springs, timing chain, valve stem seals.

Ball park whorespowder?

Old 04-19-2007, 10:39 PM
dcohen
4th Gear Member

Default RE: horsepowder

BWAHAHAHA whorespowder? well not sure bout that one

but you car should have some get up and go with those mods, especially with that shift kit
Old 04-19-2007, 10:46 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

you pretty much explained my car (i got a 650 cfm holley, edelbrock rpm airgap, patriot tri ys long tube headers and shift kit) and id estimate 240 fwhp, and i know these motors are torquey but i dunno how torquey ive heard somewhere near or above 300, not sure if its true. i know the long tubes add alot for em though
Old 04-19-2007, 11:07 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

that summit cam is a good choice for a driver, i've used it and its a tire roaster
Old 04-19-2007, 11:21 PM
68SCode4speed
2nd Gear Member

OK - I'm in the same boat with the '65.

If you want more giddy up then here's a good recipe without breaking the bank:
* Crane Cams - H-260-2 204/216 @ 050 / Lobe seperation 112 degrees. This cam will not only increase your gas mileage but willgive you a very nice increase in torque.
* Simple Tri-Y headers - they are long tube type (The knock off Shelby's work well and fit nicely too - coat them with something though)
* Stock Ford 4 barrel intake manifold (no kidding)
* Autolite 4100 4 barrel carb (re-worked by Pony Carbs - they have a website that is worth looking at, if you are serious about having them do a rebuild for you then you should call them and chat with them about which particular 4100 carb to buy - you'll need to get a shortsnout version.) I'm having them convert my 4100 to a spreadbore (primaries are necked down to 1.00" and the secondaries remain the same size - this gives excellent gas mileage but REALLY responds when you put your foot to the floor.) Don't scoff at the 4100 it is an excellent carb - just go ask the folks at Pony Carbs - I think they know what they are doing. The Demon is also a very nice carb but that is a lot of money when you can do the same thing or better for less with a 4100. Also go look at their chart on CFM flows - I think you'll be surprised at what a 289 needs for airflow.

If your 289 has any kind of mileage on it (50+)and you remove the heads, rebuild them& shave a tiny bit off to raise the compression then you'll have to wonder if you'll get some blowby on the piston rings since they might be ready to give up the ghost. With the above setup I'd just clean up the exhaust portsand smooth out the bump on the exhaust porton the headsand you'll do wonders for the flow. Don't know what HP #'s that will give you but it will work well for the 289.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:31 AM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

someone pm'ed me a bit and was gonna email me a working alive torrent for desktop dyno....where'd he go?

btw with the money your throwing into your car for horsies how bout switchin (like above said) to just an autolite 4100. awsome carb and demons are more for ppl that are really looking to make a monster of an engine. you can really free the best tho just by throwing some LT headers on there and getting a good exhaust set up. definatly will get your gitty up going. but for the intake thats one of the best u can get

use the saved money to switch to front discs or a good supension kit.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:22 AM
theAutomatics
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: longlive289s

someone pm'ed me a bit and was gonna email me a working alive torrent for desktop dyno....where'd he go?

btw with the money your throwing into your car for horsies how bout switchin (like above said) to just an autolite 4100. awsome carb and demons are more for ppl that are really looking to make a monster of an engine. you can really free the best tho just by throwing some LT headers on there and getting a good exhaust set up. definatly will get your gitty up going. but for the intake thats one of the best u can get

use the saved money to switch to front discs or a good supension kit.
Well I already have brand new front wheel disc brakes. Came with the car when I bought it from the last owner..Already put hooker long tube headers on. How much did you pay for your autolite 4100's? I paid 400$ for my BG speed demon 575 new. I don't think it was outrageous.